Moondance JamMoondance Jammin Country Fest

GRAFFITI PAGE

Moondance Jam 28
July 18-20, 2019

Re: GRAFFITI PAGE

Postby uffda » Thu May 09, 2019 12:17 pm

Okay, here's my take on the jam. If you buy early enough, you get your ticket for $120. Not counting the regional bands, there are 15 acts on the main stage. That comes to $8 per act for you to enjoy. And, with your GA ticket, you can be as close to the stage as possible. Seriously, find me one other festival that can get you close to the stage for $120. I've looked at other websites, and their GA tickets get you a nice space waaaaaaaaay in the back of the concert area...behind all the reserved lawn chairs and VIPers. At best, you'll be 200 feet from the stage (most are further away than that). I think Moondance is quite the value.
Growing up in the quiet little town of Walker, I never imagined in 100 years, I'd ever get to see big name acts in Walker. KISS, REO Speedwagon, DIO, Joan Jett, Lita, Vixen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ted Nugent, Motley Crue, Boston, Steve Miller Band, Peter Frampton, etc etc etc. Moondance has made that all come true. And now I'm getting to see some bands that weren't around when I was growing up. The times change. The bands I grew up with, are now old people (older than me!). They're no longer on tour or if they are on tour, it might be only 1 original band member. Well, duh. Only makes sense.
I welcome the new(er) bands. I'm surprised by most of them...I actually do like the music.
As Gopherboy and others have stated, it's much more than the music. It's the Moondance Experience.
Thank you, Kathy, for bringing us another year of Moondance memories.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-HST
uffda

Postby Reddog » Thu May 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Hey JWG, just noticed on the bands bio page, on Mountain Ash's bio, it's all Molly Hatchet's info. Thought y'all might want to know.
I woke up this mornin' and the Sun was gone. Turned on some music to start my day. I lost myself in a familiar song...I closed my eyes and I slipped away.
I will choose freewill...
Well I've never been to Heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma...
Reddog

Postby masterofreality » Thu May 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Twisted Sister
Whitesnake
Cinderella
Journey
Tesla
REO Speedwagon
Cheap Trick
Grand Funk Railroad
Lynyrd Skynyrd
38 Special
Ratt
Firehouse
Blackfoot
Wishbone Ash
Loverboy
Daisy Dillman Band
Savoy Brown
Panoramic Blue
Mountain Ash
Silent Partner
Local Instinct

Can you imagine that lineup
Thoughts are boomerangs,
returning with precision to their source.
Choose wisely which ones you throw
masterofreality

Postby IanR » Fri May 10, 2019 4:22 am

masterofreality wrote:Twisted Sister
Whitesnake
Cinderella
Journey
Tesla
REO Speedwagon
Cheap Trick
Grand Funk Railroad
Lynyrd Skynyrd
38 Special
Ratt
Firehouse
Blackfoot
Wishbone Ash
Loverboy
Daisy Dillman Band
Savoy Brown
Panoramic Blue
Mountain Ash
Silent Partner
Local Instinct

Can you imagine that lineup

Apart from Twisted Sister, who were late fillers, that was a great year. I kept trying to get Wishbone Ash back, but alas it never happened. They are celebrating 50 years this year, and would have been a great addition for an early slot.
You've been to the hallowed grounds, seen the festival, now read the book about it's history

https://ianroutledge.selz.com/item/53fda9f5b798720540dd9fdc
IanR

Postby HalfPast6 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:38 pm

masterofreality wrote:Twisted Sister, Whitesnake, Cinderella, Journey, Tesla, REO Speedwagon, Cheap Trick, Grand Funk Railroad, Lynyrd Skynyrd, 38 Special, Ratt, Firehouse, Blackfoot, Wishbone Ash, Loverboy, Daisy Dillman Band, Savoy Brown, Panoramic Blue, Mountain Ash, Silent Partner, Local Instinct. Can you imagine that lineup

That was my first MDJ and it was a GREAT one! But with that said, it's hard to not acknowledge that times have changed quite a bit since then - most notably the asking price of bands, probably as a result of a decreasing supply of talent and increasing demand for it, along with the consumer's general willingness to pay over $100 to see just two or three of those bands at an arena. In 2005, there were very few festivals focused solely on classic rock like MDJ. Now there are cruises and festivals and packaged tours - and many of those options route better from a band perspective. Think of the time and cost to get a band, crew and gear from, say, Chicago to MDJ to Omaha. In 2019, bands don't have to say yes to that. Compare that to 2005 when the concert industry was in a SLUMP and supply far exceeded demand. (To help you remember... https://ritholtz.com/2005/05/concert-attendance-and-ticket-pricing/)

Anyway, I've kinda come to realize that what Kathy and team put together every year is damn hard to do, and that they do their very best to bring you a strong lineup every year without doubling or tripling the ticket price. Many festivals have gone on hiatus or been otherwise canceled, including one in June my crew had planned to attend out in California. I think the Bieloh commitment to bring all these bands to Northern Minnesota annually is worth far more respect than it is deserving of criticism. They risk a lot to make this all happen for you.
HalfPast6

Postby bartsimpson650 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:20 am

I do agree that this festival is one of the best out there. The setup is incredible especially for the General Admission folks. I have been to Moondance jam, Rocklahoma, Rock USA, Rock-fest, Rock on the Range, Rockin the fields, Rockin the Rock, Voyageur Days and this year Roxodus plus many others not quite set up like these fests. Not one of those fests other than Moondance and Voyageur Days (not near the size of Moondance) offer GA up front tickets. I usually go VIP so I can be up front but I realize that not everyone has the means or desire to spend that kind of money. It is true that its not all about the music however the music is the predominant part for me. If it was all about the camping experience then I could go to the country fest right down the road from my house, but i am not a country fan so for me the music is the huge draw and the festival experience is the bonus that moondance offers. I have to admit that the other major festivals also offer similar camping experiences. The people you meet in the campgrounds are great wherever you go, I particularly like the camprounds at moondance because there are more people in my age group. It is obvious that the family works very hard to put on a first class festival. The criticism from some folks will always be there, anything that is wildly successful always finds critics. It means that this festival means something to people. Glenn Frey of the Eagles once said we must be doing something well because, we have so many critics. That is a great line.

I wont be at moondance this year but my hat is off to the organizers and people that do attend. Ignore the critics.

All I can say is Thankyou and Enjoy.
bartsimpson650

Postby The Jam Web Guy » Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 am

Reddog wrote:Hey JWG, just noticed on the bands bio page, on Mountain Ash's bio, it's all Molly Hatchet's info. Thought y'all might want to know.

Well, who did you think was filling the lead singer role? :D

J/K, thanks for the heads up. I'll take care of that. I guess now you know which band was on the template for the bio page.
The Jam Web Guy
Site Admin

Postby gopherboy6 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:33 pm

All the schedules are up, great lineup! Good to see HalfPast6 playing an acoustic set!
Moondance Jam...the best 4, make that 7 days of my year!
gopherboy6

Postby HalfPast6 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:47 am

gopherboy6 wrote:All the schedules are up, great lineup! Good to see HalfPast6 playing an acoustic set!

Thanks Gopherboy! We are excited as well! Looking forward to playing at 2:30 on Friday and hope some folks here will stop by before heading over to catch Vixen on the Main Stage.
HalfPast6

Postby butch » Tue May 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Lineup is a bust. Won't be attending for the first time in nearly 20 years. Too bad. I think the Jam gods need to rethink the band signings to stay competitive and keep people engaged. Attempting to fill a lineup with bands that most people don't know, or are so called "classic" rock bands with no real founding members is a a bust. Newer rock bands are where it's at, and there are a ton of great ones out there actively touring. If you want it to be a success, that's where it needs to go.

P.S. I am almost 60 yrs old, so don't rail on me for being from the "young" crowd.
butch

PreviousNext

Return to Moondance Jam