Moondance JamMoondance Jammin Country Fest

What are you bringing for food???

Moondance Jam 29
July 16-18, 2020

Re: What are you bringing for food???

Postby Snydlee » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:49 pm

Cupcake wrote:
Snydlee wrote:A great breakfast idea is omelets in a bag. At home chop up all your favorites (& put in individual zip locks) to put in an omelet like for example onion, gr pepper mushrooms, ham, cooked bacon or sausage, cheese, etc. Then for breakfast crack an egg or two or three and put in a quart freezer bag-add your favorite veggies/meat-close the bag and squish it all together to mix up-put in a kettle of boiling water and boil for about 15 minutes.We have wooden clothes pins with numbers written on them in case we have alot of bags boiling at the same time-clip it to the top of the freezer bag. Then each person knows their number and can time their own.-take out of water and check to see if egg is fully cooked. Take it out of the bag and you have a perfect omelet.

Syndlee, is there a trick to this?? My mom tried it 2 years ago when we went on our family camping trip and she thought it took forever? Maybe just cause she was doing 10?? Or maybe smaller baggies...hmm??? They sure were yummy tho!! Thanks for reminding me of them. I think I will give it a trial run in 2 weeks too!!! Thanks.

Cupcake-I think the more eggs you have in the bag, the longer it takes. We usually do 2 egg omelets and it is about 15 minutes.
Snydlee

Postby pink flamingo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:42 am

Cupcake wrote:Yes indeed Cupcakes Ian!!! But I can't mail one to you...you will have to come over to have one. :D

Davage...for sure on the "Pauly" story. I can't wait. :cheers:
HMM...chocolate milk...hangover cure...very interesting. I LOVE chocolate milk!! May give this a test run this weekend...hehe.

Guess noone eats but us...maybe I shouldn't list what I plan everyone will be at Camp South Beerkota for food...hehe.

Maybe I really meant...what have you brought in the past?? I am always looking for new camping food ideas than the usual of burgers, brats and hotdogs.

:wootrock: Rock on Rockers!!!!

Cupcake... a BIG glass of milk (I always just used regular, white milk) and two aspirin before bed does wonders to PREVENT the hangover... I swore by it in college!!!

"From the moment I wake up, I just love being with my friends, we barely get by, but have the best times, and hope it never ends..." ~Nickelback ♫
"A touch of wicked, a pinch of risqué..." ~Halestorm ♪ ♩♫ ♬ ♪ ♩♫ ♬ ♪ ♩♫ ♬

ImageImage
pink flamingo

Postby pink flamingo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:47 am

Snydlee wrote:A great breakfast idea is omelets in a bag. At home chop up all your favorites (& put in individual zip locks) to put in an omelet like for example onion, gr pepper mushrooms, ham, cooked bacon or sausage, cheese, etc. Then for breakfast crack an egg or two or three and put in a quart freezer bag-add your favorite veggies/meat-close the bag and squish it all together to mix up-put in a kettle of boiling water and boil for about 15 minutes.We have wooden clothes pins with numbers written on them in case we have alot of bags boiling at the same time-clip it to the top of the freezer bag. Then each person knows their number and can time their own.-take out of water and check to see if egg is fully cooked. Take it out of the bag and you have a perfect omelet.

OH! This sounds interesting Snydlee... I might have to give this a try sometime!!! Do the eggs turn out sort of like scrambled eggs would???

You can make a lot of things in Tonka Toasters too (pizza pies, to apple pie filling desserts)!!! Tonka Toasters (for those of you who don't know, or call them something different) are those square metal things on a long metal stick (like a marshmallow stick with a square part on the end) that open up... you spray them, pop some bread in and then whatever type of "sandwich" you want to make... cook 'em over the fire!!! YUMMY!!!

"From the moment I wake up, I just love being with my friends, we barely get by, but have the best times, and hope it never ends..." ~Nickelback ♫
"A touch of wicked, a pinch of risqué..." ~Halestorm ♪ ♩♫ ♬ ♪ ♩♫ ♬ ♪ ♩♫ ♬

ImageImage
pink flamingo

Postby Snydlee » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:31 am

Pinkie-yes the eggs turn out like a scrambled egg with 'goodies' mixed in. Throw on some salsa or extra cheese-yummy!
Another good breakfast is called Breakfast Hash
Fry up some potatoes-can use the frozen ones. Throw in some pre browned breakfast sausage and then how ever many beaten eggs. Cooking over medium heat and stirring frequently till eggs are cooked. Serve it up. If you know how many you are cooking for- you can pre crack that many eggs and beat them (for scrambles) and pour them into a plastic jug-like what milk comes in. This way you don't have to worry about them breaking in your travels. Slick! ;)
Snydlee

Postby Snydlee » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:33 am

:shock:I skipped breakfast- Is it lunch time yet??
Snydlee

Postby Snydlee » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:35 am

;) Hi Lisa! See ya signed in!
Snydlee

Postby Lisa! » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:58 am

We did the omlette thing one year at the Jam, pretty cool but they did take a while to cook. I love making breakfast while camping (tho usually at the Jam a bloody mary is breakfast!) cuz I love the smell of the maple bacon or sausage, coffee, etc. I like the idea of the scrambled in a milk jug, great idea, tho we have those handy dandy egg holders and haven't had a problem yet.

Yes, chocolate milk is a great tummy soother, but I love to have strawberry milk, too. Brings me back to my childhood.

Pinkie, I'm gonna hafta try the milk~n~aspirin plan!!!

Such an educational thread!!!

But now I'm hungry :D
"Moondance is made of memories, and memories are what bring this whole event alive." Bill Bieloh
RIP DJDizzyDarcy, I'll miss your Warm Hugs! God Bless
RIP Bill Bieloh-Thank You for Everything
RIP RichieRich, forever in CampHowler
Lisa!

Postby Cupcake » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:55 pm

Hello all....lets see here...I made notes so I could reply accordingly. Indeed informational!!! I love it!!!

ok, Syndlee...thanks on the 2 eggs could have been the dilemma. I LOVE the jug idea for the eggs!!! Absolutely genius!!! I have used the egg crates too but I have to still put them in a zip lock and if I grab a generic one it takes on water anyway and then I still have to crack and whisk so instead crack into jug...shake it...SWEET!!! Again GENIUS!!!

Pinky...milk before bed plus aspirin? Ibuprofen work too?? Very interesting. and on to the Tonka Toasters (love the name) At first I had no idea what this box on a stick was...seen it... but now I know what it is for. Fabulous. Walmart here I come!!!

And for all check out this link I just got in an email from Taste of Home...specifically about camping foods. I like the eggo waffles on the grill. Every where else I camp I have electricity so I use a toaster but no electricity for Camp South Beerkota at MDJ but we have a propane grill and stove.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Camping-Reci ... 800.525046
CUPS(cake) UP @ CAMP SOUTH BEERKOTA !!!!
Cupcake

Postby Lisa! » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Awesome website, Cupcake!!! I borrowed it an put it on our FB CH page. I gave you credit. :D
"Moondance is made of memories, and memories are what bring this whole event alive." Bill Bieloh
RIP DJDizzyDarcy, I'll miss your Warm Hugs! God Bless
RIP Bill Bieloh-Thank You for Everything
RIP RichieRich, forever in CampHowler
Lisa!

Postby Cupcake » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks Lisa. I tried to say thanks on FB too but it kept having trouble posting so then I retried 3 times. The 3rd took but then it is now gone or was. Eventually you will probably see the same post 3 times...hehe. So thank you..thank you...thank you...and you are welcome...welcome...welcome... :lol: The eggs in the foil cups are good idea too!!! Yummy!!!!
CUPS(cake) UP @ CAMP SOUTH BEERKOTA !!!!
Cupcake

Previous

Return to Moondance Jam