Foghat

Foghat

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:40 pm

Foghat – Thursday, July 16

Bryan Bassett – Guitar
Charlie Huhn – Guitar and Vocals
Craig MacGregor – Bass
Roger Earl - Drums

Drummer Roger Earl, bassist Tony Stephens, and guitarist/vocalist Lonesome Dave Peverett were members of the British band Savoy Brown before deciding to break away and form a band with a heavier rock sound. In 1971, the three found guitarist Rod Price and founded Foghat. The band signed with Bearsville Records and released their first album, a self-titled effort, in 1972. The disc would contain a cover of Willie Dixon’s “I Just Want to Make Love To You,” which would become a radio hit for the band and reach #83 on the charts. The album would reach #127 on the charts. Their sophomore album, another self-titled album that would become known as Rock and Roll, would make it to #82 on the charts and go gold in 1972. The albums would come quickly for the band as they would release two albums in 1974. The first, Energizer, reached #34 and went gold and the second, Rock & Roll Outlaws, would contain the concert staple “Chateau Lafitte ’59 Boogie” and reach #40 on the charts. Stevens left and was replaced by their producer Nick Jameson for the album that would become their first true hit. Fool for the City was released in 1975 and contained what would become two of the band’s biggest hits, “Fool for the City” and “Slow Ride.” The former would reach #45 while the latter would reach #20 and become their signature song that would eventually be featured in countless movies and tv shows. The follow-up in 1976, Night Shift, would not sell as well as the previous album but did contain another concert favorite and #34 hit, “Drivin’ Wheel.” Bassist Craig Ferguson took over for Jameson for this album. The band then decided, as many bands did at the time, to record a live album. Foghat Live was released in 1977 and became the band best-selling album, with over 2 million copies sold. Their live version of “I Just Want to Make Love to You” from this album would go higher than the studio version, peaking at #33. Stone Blue followed in 1978 and contained the title track that made it to #36 on the charts. In 1979, Boogie Motel was released and contained their first hit ballad, “Third Time Lucky (First Time I Was a Fool),” which reached #23. However, many Foghat fans were disappointed as they felt the Stone Blue and Boogie Motel strayed from the classic Foghat sound and were too commercial. While Boogie Motel would reach #35 on the charts, the following album, Tight Shoes in 1980 only reached #106. Price walked away after this and was replaced by Eric Cartwright. 1981’s Girls to Chat, Boys to Bounce was even more of a change in sound as most people classified it as new wave. Jameson took back over for MacGregor on bass for the next album, In the Mood for Something Rude, which is a cover album of R&B tunes. It would contain their last song to chart, “Slipped, Tripped, Fell In Love,” which hit #12 on the Mainstream rock chart. In 1983, they released their final album for Bearsville Records, Zig-Zag Walk. Both of their last two albums barely cracked the top 200 on the charts. Several bass players would come and go and in 1984 the group disbanded. Earl, Cartwright, and MacGregor would reunite in 1986 and bring in vocalist Eric Burgeson to replace Peverett. Cartwright’s brother Brett would take over on bass eventually and two more vocalists, Phil Nudelman and Billy Davis, would also be a part of the group before all the original members reunited in 1993. The once again all-original Foghat recorded Return of the Boogie Men in 1994 and began touring again. They also released a live album in 1998 titled Road Cases. In 1999, Price left and was replaced by Bryan Bassett on bass. Sadly, Lonesome Dave Peverett succumbed to cancer in February of 2000. The band hired Charlie Huhn, a former vocalist for Ted Nugent, to take over singing duties as well as play guitar. The band released a studio album in 2003 titled Family Joules. Price, who was not a member of the band at the time, passed away in 2005. The band has also released a sequel to their original live album titled Foghat Live II. The album, released in 2006, is a double album that covers all their classic hits plus several new songs. It contains 13 songs recorded live from their show plus 7 rehearsal tracks. Their latest release is Live at the Blues Warehouse. Released in 2009, the album is from a live radio broadcast in 2007.

Setlists:
March 28, 2009 in San Antonio
Ride Ride Ride
Take Me to the River
My Babe
Drivin' Wheel
Third Time Lucky (First Time I Was a Fool)
Night Shift
Chateau Lafitte '59 Boogie
Fool For the City
I Just Want to Make Love to You
Chevrolet
Slow Ride

June 27, 2007 from Live at the Blues Warehouse CD:
Fool For the City
Home in My Hand
Drivin' Wheel
Mumbo Jumbo
My Babe
Chateau LaFitte '59 Boogie
I Just Want to Make Love to You
Slow Ride

July 2005 – setlist from Foghat Live IINightshift
Take Me To The River
Stone Blue
Slippin’ and Slidin
Drivin' Wheel
Mumbo Jumbo
Terraplane Blues
Bang, Bang
Fool For The City
California Blues
I Just Wanna Make Love To You
Chateau Lafitte '59 Boogie
Slow Ride
*7 more songs from rehearsals are also on the album

Did You Know?
“Slow Ride” was listed at VH1’s 45th best hard rock song of all time.
Foghat Live only contained 6 songs.
Nick Jameson left the band in 1976 to pursue a solo career.
He eventually became an actor and has done many voices for animated television series.
Roger Earl is an avid fisherman.
Earl, Cartwright, and MacGregor toured as The Kneetremblers after Foghat broke up in 1984.
“Slow Ride” and “I Just Want to Make Love to You” are both featured in the movie Dazed and Confused.
“Slow Ride is also featured on Guitar Hero III.
The band released a live DVD from a show in 1999 titled The Millennium Tour.
Huhn played rhythm guitar and sang on five albums with Ted Nugent. One album went platinum, two others went gold.
He also toured as the lead singer of Humble Pie through the 90’s.
He also released three albums with the band Victory.
Bassett was an original member of Wild Cherry. Wild Cherry’s hit was “Play the Funky Music.”
Their 2nd album is referred to as Rock and Roll because the cover has a picture of a rock and a roll.
“I Just Want to Make Love to You” hit the top 100 twice, in 1972 (studio version) and 1977 (live).
Foghat Live sold over 2 million copies.
The band had seven straight albums reach at least gold status from 1973 to 1978.
Two of those albums went platinum, Fool for the City and Foghat Live.

Billboard Top 100
1972 I Just Want to Make Love to You #83
1973 What a Shame #82
1976 Fool for the City #45
1976 Slow Ride #20
1977 Drivin’ Wheel #34
1977 I Just Want to Make Love to You #33
1977 I’ll Be Standing By #67
1978 Stone Blue #36
1980 Stranger in My Home Town #81
1980 Third Time Lucky (First Time I Was a Fool) #23

My Take
Although I knew their hits, I did not really get into Foghat until my sons told me how much they liked the song “Slow Ride” after hearing it in the movie Wild Hogs. After they told me I then found out that they would be playing a free show in Shawnee, Kansas. I decided that would be my sons’ first concerts (they were age 3 and 6 at the time). I bought their greatest hits and they also became fans of the songs “Drivin’ Wheel,” “I Just Want to Make Love to You,” and “Fool for the City.” They enjoyed the show even if they weren’t happy they had wait until the end to hear “Slow Ride”! I knew Foghat didn’t have many original members left but I was impressed with their show that night. They sounded great and and at Moondance will sing quite a few songs that everyone at the jam will know. “Slow Ride” has been featured in many movies and is a constant on classic rock radio. It will be as recognizable as any song played at the jam. I recently downloaded their Foghat Live II album from Amazon and it sounds very good. It is a great deal as well with 20 songs for $8.99. I strongly suggest you check it out if you need to become familiar with the music. Their musicianship in the current lineup is very good and you can hear it in the extended jams they have on many songs on the album. If all the members of the original band were still alive, I think Foghat would be at least a 9pm band. They are going to get Moondance Jam 17 off to a great start.

Videos – All live with the current lineup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ZzRYf5esE – Drivin’ Wheel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhorRZil ... re=related – “I Just Want to Make Love to You”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPM1dj5t71Y – “Slow Ride”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lk6rDFK ... re=related – “Third Time Lucky”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1XoZf1N ... re=related – “Fool for the City"
The music brought me to Moondance Jam. The people bring me back.
View my profiles of this years' bands at: viewforum.php?f=38
View profiles of past bands at: viewforum.php?f=7
Chris

Return to 2009 - Rockin' 18 Bands