George Thorogood and the Destroyers

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:27 pm

George Thorogood – Saturday, July 19 at 9pm

George Thorogood – Guitars and Vocals
Jeff Simon – Drums
Billy Blough – Bass
Jim Suhler – Rhythm Guitar
Buddy Leach – Sax

George Thorogood grew up in Delaware and originally wanted to be a professional baseball player and even played in the minor leagues in the early 70’s. However, he also had developed a passion for music and decided to form a band. In 1973, George formed the Destroyers and started touring clubs in the Boston area. The band originally had Michael Lenn on bass, Ron Smith on guitar, and Jeff Simon on drums. In 1974 they recorded songs for the album Best of the Rest in hopes of finding label. They were soon signed to Rounder Records but the album was put on the shelf and the band went to work on a new set of songs. Less was also replaced by Billy Blough during this period. In 1977, their debut album titled simply George Thorogood & The Destroyers was released and contained mostly cover tunes with a few Thorogood songs at the end. Elmore James’ “Madison Blues” and John Lee Hooker’s “One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer” were songs from the album that are still staples of the band’s live shows. The band kept the cover song theme on the next album, Move It On Over, which consisted entirely of cover tunes. This formula would prove to be a hit as the album reached the top 40, buoyed by the success of the Hank Williams cover “Move It On Over” and “Who Do You Love?,” originally done by Ellas McDaniel. Hank Carter was added on sax and Smith left the band during this period. MCA soon got a hold of the album Best of the Rest, and released it against the band’s wishes. However, with the success of their previous album, they were signed to EMI Records and in 1982 released the album Bad To The Bone. The title track from this release would be the band’s first Mainstream Rock Hit and would also be the first successful track written by Thorogood. The band followed up in 1985 with the album Maverick, which contained three Mainstream Rock Hits, “Gear Jammer” and “I Drink Alone,” both written by Thorogood and the Johnny Otis cover “Willie and the Hand Jive.” 1988’s Born to be Bad album would spawn three more Mainstream Rock Hits, with the title track and “You Talk Too Much” hitting the top 5. The album Boogie People was up next in 1991 and was led by the tongue-in-cheek hit “If You Don’t Start Drinkin’ (I’m Gonna Leave).” In 1993, the album Haircut would contain his highest-charting song “Get a Haircut,” which hit #2 on the Mainstream Rock Chart. Unfortunately, “Gone Dead Train” from this album would be his last charting hit for five years. While he has continued to release albums every couple of years, only “I Don’t Trust Nobody” from the 1999 album Half a Boy/Half a Man has charted. However, his greatest hits album from 2004 titled Greatest Hits: 30 Years of Rock has sold very well. Since last playing the jam in 2008, they have put out two albums of mostly cover songs that have charted very high on the Blues Chart. George Thorogood & The Destroyers are currently on their 40 Years Strong Tour and will be making their fifth appearance at Moondance Jam. After closing the jam in 2008, he will be playing the 9pm slot on Saturday.

Did You Know?
Thorogood has covered John Lee Hooker 10 times and Chuck Berry 11 times.
He has covered Hooker on 9 different and Berry on 10 different studio albums.
In 2007, Thorogood re-released the album Bad to the Bone on the 25th Anniversary of its original release.
The reissue of Bad to the Bone contained 7 extra songs, six of which were re-recordings of songs on the original.
Thorogood, Simon, and Blough have been together since 1975.
The band has never had a Billboard Top 40 Hit but has hit the Mainstream Rock Top 40 fifteen times.
The band did not add a saxophone until their third album when Hank Carter joined the band.
The band played 51 shows in all 50 states (and DC) in 50 days in 1981.
The band started by travelling to Hawaii and then Alaska on consecutive nights for shows.
The band then hit the rest of the 50 states, one state per night, even playing Washington, DC the same day they played in Maryland.
The video for “Bad to the Bone” received heavy rotation on MTV in the late 80’s.
The band’s Greatest Hits: 30 Years of Rock topped the Billboard Blues charts for 60 weeks and went gold.
Thorogood played 2nd base in the minors and was named rookie of the year in the Roberto Clemente League.
The band is one of only a handful of performers to play Moondance Jam consecutive years (2000 and 2001).
The band opened for the Rolling Stones on their 1981 tour.
The band averages 100+ shows every year.
They are celebrating 40 years together on their current tour, titled 40 Years Strong.
Their 2009 album Dirty Dozen was #1 on the Billboard Top Blues Album chart.
Their last album, 2120 South Michigan Ave., reached #2 on the chart.
It contains 10 covers of songs recorded on Chess Records, including The Rolling Stones 1964 instrumental “2120 South Michigan Avenue,” which inspired the title of the album.
The band has sold 15 million albums worldwide.
They played Saturday Night Live on October 2, 1982.
They have 2 platinum albums and 6 gold albums.
The band kicked off a 20-date Canadian tour on April 30.

Mainstream Rock Hits
1982 Bad to the Bone #27
1985 Gear Jammer #26
1985 I Drink Alone #13
1985 Willie and the Hand Jive #25
1986 Reelin’ and Rockin’ #11
1988 Born to be Bad #3
1988 Treat Her Right #39
1988 You Talk Too Much #4
1991 Hello Little Girl #15
1991 If You Don’t Start Drinkin’ (I’m Gonna Leave) #5
1992 I’m a Steady Rollin’ Man #18
1993 Get a Haircut #2
1993 Gone Dead Train #39
1993 Howlin’ for My Baby #12
1994 Gone Dead Train #24
1999 I Don’t Trust Nobody #24

Album Charts
1974 Better Than the Rest #78
1977 George Thorogood and the Destroyers (Gold)
1978 Move It On Over #33 (Gold)
1980 More George Thorogood and the Destroyers #63
1982 Bad to the Bone #43 (Gold)
1985 Maverick #32 (Gold)
1986 Live #33 (Platinum)
1988 Born to Be Bad #32 (Gold)
1991 Boogie People #77
1992 The Baddest of George Thorogood and the Destroyers #100 (Platinum)
1993 Haircut #120
1997 Rockin’ My Life Away #5 on Blues Chart
2003 Ride ‘Til I Die #2 on Blues Chart
2004 Greatest Hits: 30 Years of Rock #55, #1 on Blues Chart (Gold)
2005 The Best of George Thorogood and the Destroyers #7 on Blues Chart
2006 The Hard Stuff #2 on Blues Chart
2009 The Dirty Dozen #169, #1 on Blues Chart
2010 Live in Boston 1982 #10 on Blues Chart
2011 2120 South Michigan Ave. #2 on Blues Chart

Moondance Jam Appearances
Jam 9 in 2000
Jam 10 in 2001
Jam 12 in 2003
Jam 17 in 2008

Setlists
May 24, 2014 in Halifax, NS (Canadian tour setlist)
Born to Be Bad
Rock Party
Who Do You Love?
Help Me
Night Time
I Drink Alone
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer
Get A Haircut
Gear Jammer
Move It On Over
Tail Dragger
Bad to the Bone
Madison Blues

March 17, 2014 in Raleigh, NC
Eve of Destruction (playing pre-set)
Born to Be Bad
Who Do You Love?
Help Me
Night Time
I Drink Alone
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer
Cocaine Blues
Tequila
Get a Haircut
Gear Jammer
Move It On Over
Twenty Dollar Gig
Bad to the Bone
Madison Blues

My Take – Then
I had probably contemplated buying George Thorogood and the Destroyers’ Greatest Hits: 30 Years of Rock fifty times or so before finally buying it after the band was signed to Moondance Jam 2008. I am glad I finally decided to purchase the CD that has now become a regular in my rotation of music. I had of course known his hits like “Move it on Over,” “Bad to the Bone,” and “Who Do You Love?” but after listening to the CD I am now really looking forward to seeing the band perform “Gear Jammer” and hopefully “The Sky is Crying.” I knew little about their history before they were signed but I am impressed with several things. First they don’t pretend to be a band that they are not. They play straight forward rocking blues and rely heavily on cover songs not only in their live shows but on their studio releases. To me it seems this band doesn’t have a huge ego and will play the songs that fans want to hear. I also am impressed with the fact that three of them (Thorogood, Simon, and Blough) have been together for over 30 years, which says a lot in today’s music world. Finally I admire that Thorogood seems to truly respect the one thing that everyone reading this article loves, Moondance Jam. This is his 4th appearance at the jam and he reportedly will be hanging around for several days of the jam, not just the last day. I hope he appears onstage with some other performers, whether it is with a band on the mainstage (how about Sammy!) or a Saloon Stage band (which may suit him even better). I look forward to seeing him around the jam taking in the atmosphere that we all love.

My Take – Now
I’m not sure how the rumor got started back in 2008 but George Thorogood did not hang out at Moondance during the jam to my knowledge. I still think Moondance would be a great place for him to hang out and jam if he had the time. He doesn’t have the time this year though, with shows the day before and after his performance on jam Saturday. Actually, the fact I haven’t seen any collaboration between bands (that I can remember) at Moondance surprises me. I would think, if I were a musician, that I would love to jam with other bands at festivals when given the opportunity. I mean, the Soundtrack of Summer tour was put together touting collaboration and have yet to all perform together onstage. How does this happen? The only think close has been Tommy Shaw joining Don Felder on “Hotel California.” Sorry, this rant is going off-topic. Back to George. Last time he was at the jam, if was at the end of the jam and my wife and I took off to say our goodbyes to fellow jammers during the middle of his set so can’t really say much about his performance. However, every live clip I see or hear from the band is very good. You can tell they love what they do and they do it with passion. I will watch their entire performance this time (I can’t miss “Gear Jammer,” what a jam at the end!) and I want to get as close as possible. The closer I get, the more it will feel like a club performance, where I think the band and their music fit the best. Seriously, if they hopped onstage in the Saloon during the day to jam that would be talked about at Moondance forever. However, if history holds, that isn’t going to happen. But I can hope.

Videos
Who Do You Love? (live) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ow8dUNFdgo
Night Time (live) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2gd6W7gc9I
I Drink Alone (live) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqZ1MLts1yw
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer (live) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6bk_qJw5XY
Cocaine Blues (live) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtrR2E-o8Wg
Get a Haircut (live) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAoXw_DqvM
Gear Jammer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG9krB7_xAg
Move It On Over http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlV3zeWnWZY
Bad to the Bone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6bk_qJw5XY
Madison Blues http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OLP6qtuxkA
The music brought me to Moondance Jam. The people bring me back.
View my profiles of this years' bands at: viewforum.php?f=38
View profiles of past bands at: viewforum.php?f=7
Chris

Re: George Thorogood and the Destroyers

Postby The TyGuy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:00 pm

I love "Get A Haircut"!!! It takes me back to when I was a dishwasher at the Grand Forks Country Club. One of the cooks I worked with would also look at me and tell me to "get a haircut and get a real job". Haven't seen him since.
Moondance Jam 29 wishlist:
PAISTY JENNY
LILLIAN AXE
ENUFF Z'NUFF
POISON
The TyGuy

Postby gopherboy6 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:05 pm

George has always been one I wanted to see, glad aI finally get to this year!
Moondance Jam...the best 4, make that 7 days of my year!
gopherboy6

Postby tlucke2006 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:43 am

George Thorogood and the Destroyers brings back many great memories when I was several years younger! My father is a huge fan, and growing up I remember dad always having one of his albums on the record player. My dad says Moondance Jam would be worth it just to see this artist alone. LOL! He's jealous cause he's never seen him live. Such a variety of great songs too!
T-Lucky
tlucke2006

Postby The TyGuy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:51 pm

tlucke2006 wrote:George Thorogood and the Destroyers brings back many great memories when I was several years younger! My father is a huge fan, and growing up I remember dad always having one of his albums on the record player. My dad says Moondance Jam would be worth it just to see this artist alone. LOL! He's jealous cause he's never seen him live. Such a variety of great songs too!

Bring your dad along!!
Moondance Jam 29 wishlist:
PAISTY JENNY
LILLIAN AXE
ENUFF Z'NUFF
POISON
The TyGuy

Return to 2014 - Jam 23 Bands