Postby Chris » Thu May 15, 2014 11:26 pm

Styx – Friday, July 18 at 11pm

Tommy Shaw – Guitars, Vocals, Mandolin
James Young – Guitars, Vocals, Keyboards
Todd Sucherman – Drums, Percussion
Lawrence Gowan – Keyboards, Vocals, Guitars
Ricky Phillips – Bass Guitar, Vocals
Chuck Panozzo – Bass Guitar, Bass Pedals

Styx got their start in Chicago in 1961 with Dennis DeYoung on keyboards and vocals, Chuck Panozzo on guitar, and John Panozzo on drums. Originally known as The Tradewinds, the band soon added James (JY) Young and John Curulewski on guitar and vocals (Chuck Panozzo switched to bass). The band soon signed with Wooden Nickel Records and changed their name to Styx. The band released four albums with the label, Styx in 1972, Styx II in 1973, The Serpent is Rising in 1973, and Man of Miracles in 1974. While none of these albums initially sold well nationally, the band developed a strong following in the Chicago area. The song “Best Thing” just cracked the top 100 in 1972 but it was the ballad “Lady”, from Styx II, that was the band's first big break. “Lady” started getting play on legendary radio station WLS out of Chicago and then getting national attention. In 1975, two years after being released, “Lady” broke into the top 10 on the Billboard charts and the band had the hit it needed as Styx II reached gold status. The band then signed a major label deal with A&M and released Equinox in 1975. Equinox had one top 40 hit with “Lorelei.” Curulewski abruptly split from the band before the next album and the band when on a frantic search for a replacement and found Tommy Shaw. Shaw’s first album with the band, 1976’s Crystal Ball, contained another top 40 hit “Mademoiselle,” which featured Shaw on vocals. Their next album, 1977’s The Grand Illusion, would be their breakthrough album. The album, which contained two top 40 hits, “Come Sail Away” at #8 and “Fooling Yourself (Angry Young Man)” at #29, would be their first platinum album and would eventually sell over 3 million copies and be their first in a string of multi-platinum albums. Shaw’s presence was really felt on the next album, Pieces of Eight from 1978. The album was led by three hits all written by Shaw, with “Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)” and “Renegade” both hitting the top 40. A year later it was DeYoung’s turn on the album Cornerstone, which yielded the band’s first and only #1 hit with DeYoung’s song “Babe.” DeYoung and Shaw collaborated on another top 40 hit from the album with “Borrowed Time.” Cornerstone, which reached #2 on the album charts, also was nominated for two Grammy’s. The group’s most successful album, Paradise Theater, was released in 1981 and would become the band’s fourth straight multi-platinum album. The album, which contained two top 10 hits, “Too Much Time On My Hands” at #9 and “The Best of Times” at #3, would earn the band a People’s Choice Award. Next up was the ambitious but ultimately destructive concept album Kilroy Was Here from 1983. While the album went platinum and had two more top 10 hits with “Don’t Let It End” at #6 and probably their most recognizable song “Mr. Roboto” at #3, the band developed some inner turmoil with the direction they were heading. DeYoung was pushing for theatrics while Young and Shaw wanted the band to play more straight-forward rock. Their stage show during this tour had the band acting onstage and even used recorded instrumental backing to tell the album’s story. The band would soon split up before the release of the 1984 live album Caught in the Act. DeYoung, Shaw, and Young would all embark on solo careers. DeYoung scored a top 10 hit with “Desert Moon” and Shaw had two top 40 hits with “Girls with Guns” and “Lonely School” while Young failed to chart. Shaw formed the supergroup Damn Yankees in 1988 with Ted Nugent and Night Ranger’s Jack Blades and released two successful albums with a string of hits, including “High Enough,” which went to #3. While Shaw was experience success with Damn Yankees, Styx reformed in 1990 with Glen Burtnick in place of Shaw. The album Edge of the Century had two top 40 hits and is remembered for the #3 hit “Show Me The Way,” which had been edited with children speaking about their parents who were fighting in Desert Storm. In spite of the fact the album went gold, A&M soon dropped them from the label and the group again disbanded. The band reunited with Shaw in 1995 to re-record “Lady” for a greatest hits album and the band embarked on the Return to Paradise tour in 1996. For health reasons John Panozzo was replaced on drums by Todd Sucherman and passed away later in the year. A live CD titled Return to Paradise, released on CMC records, proved to be a hit and went gold. A new album, Brave New World, was released in 1999 but sold poorly. While recording the album, past problems resurfaced over creative control of the band. JY and Shaw again were displeased with the direction DeYoung wanted to take the band and when DeYoung became sick and tried to delay the start of the Brave New World tour, the band replaced him with Lawrence Gowan. Chuck Panozzo was also replaced due to health reasons during the recording of Brave New World but has continued as a part-time performer. Lawsuits ensued over rights to the name of the band with Shaw and Young getting rights to the Styx name while DeYoung could be billed as performing the music of Styx. DeYoung has not performed with the band since. The lineup with Gowan released Cyclorama in 2003 which sold poorly and Burtnick was replaced by Ricky Phillips. In 2005, the band released a cover album titled Big Bang Theory. They also released the live CD/DVD One with Everything: Styx and the Contemporary Youth Orchestra in 2006. They performed both The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight in their entirety in 2011 and released a live performance in 2012 of that tour. They will be touring all summer with Foreigner and Don Felder on the Soundtrack of Summer tour. The 3 artists all collaborated and recorded “Hotel California” to commemorate the tour. The band will be making their 4th appearance at Moondance Jam.

Past Moondance Jam Performances
Jam 9 in 2000
Jam 11 in 2002
Jam 17 in 2008

Did You Know?

The band has released six platinum albums, five of which have gone multi-platinum. Seven more releases have gone gold.
The band has sold over 17.5 million albums.
Of their eight top 10 singles, seven were written and sung by DeYoung.
Styx was the first band recognized by the RIAA to have released four consecutive multi-platinum albums.
The Grand Illusion, Paradise Theater, and Cornerstone were all certified triple platinum on November 14, 1984.
The band had a top 10 hit in three consecutive decades, the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s.
Styx was named after a Greek mythological river that separated Earth from Hades.
Styx has been helped in recent years with references in Adam Sandler movies. Sandler is a huge fan of Styx.
The band scored a classic rock radio hit with a cover of the Beatles’ “I Am the Walrus” in 2003, which inspired the band to do the cover album Big Bang Theory.
Styx covers fellow Moondance Jam 2008 performer Crosby, Stills, and Nash’s “Find the Cost of Freedom” on Big Bang Theory.
Lawrence Gowan was a very successful solo performer in Canada and had 17 top 100 hits on the Canadian music charts from 1985 to 1997.
Ricky Phillips has also been a member of Bad English and The Babys.
Glen Burtnik played guitar in his first stink with Styx in 1990. He played bass during his second stint in 1999. Burtnik currently tours with DeYoung.
Young is the only member of Styx who has never taken a break from the band.
Shaw has recorded two albums with Night Ranger’s Jack Blades under the name Shaw Blades.
Shaw recorded the song “Love Gun” on a KISS tribute album.
John and Chuck Panozzo were fraternal twins.
Chuck Panozzo released an autobiography titled The Grand Illusion: Love, Lies, and my Life With Styx.
Paradise Theater went #1 in 1981, their only #1 album.
Styx had five top 10 albums in a row from 1978 to 1983.]
The Paradise Theater tour was the highest grossing rock tour in history at the time when it wrapped up in 1982.
A Gallup poll named Styx American teenagers' favorite rock band in 1979.
Styx also toured with Foreigner in 2010 on the United in Rock tour.
The band performed both The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight in their entirety on a 2011 tour. See video below!
Styx, Foreigner, and Don Felder all recorded a version of “Hotel California” to commemorate the current Soundtrack of Summer tour.

Setlists
Wichita, KS on 5/14/14 on the opening night of the Soundtrack of Summer Tour
The Grand Illusion
Too Much Time on My Hands
Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)
Lady
Light Up
Crystal Ball
Superstars
Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)
You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Live and Let Die/Bohemian Rhapsody
Come Sail Away
Rockin’ the Paradise
Renegade

Lake Buena Vista, FL on 4/12/14
The Grand Illusion
Too Much Time on My Hands
Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)
One With Everything
Lady
Light Up
Man in the Wilderness
Mademoiselle
I’m OK
Crystal Ball
Suite Madame Blue
Superstars
Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)
Come Sail Away
Rockin’ the Paradise
Renegade

Billboard Singles
1972 Best Thing #82
1975 Lady #6
1975 You Need Love #88
1976 Lorelei #27
1976 Mademoiselle #36
1977 Crystal Ball #109
1977 Come Sail Away #8
1978 Fooling Yourself (Angry Young Man) #29
1978 Blue Collar Man (Long Nights) #21
1979 Sing for the Day #41
1979 Renegade #16
1979 Babe #1
1980 Why Me #26
1980 Borrowed Time #64
1981 The Best of Times #3
1981 Too Much Time on My Hands #9
1981 Nothing Ever Goes As Planned #54
1983 Mr. Roboto #3
1983 Don’t Let It End #6
1983 High Time #48
1984 Music Time #40
1990 Love is the Ritual #80
1991 Show Me the Way #3
1991 Love at First Sight #25

Billboard Album Charts
1973 Styx #20 (Gold)
1973 The Serpent is Rising #192
1974 Man of Miracles #154
1975 Equinox #58 (Gold)
1976 Crystal Ball #66 (Gold)
1977 The Grand Illusion #6 (3x Platinum)
1978 Pieces of Eight #6 (3x Platinum)
1979 Cornerstone #2 (2x Platinum)
1981 Paradise Theater #1 (3x Platinum)
1983 Kilroy Was Here #3 (Platinum)
1984 Caught in the Act #31
1990 Edge of the Century #63 (Gold)
1997 Return to Paradise #139 (Gold)
1999 Brave New World #175
2003 Cyclorama #127
2005 Big Bang Theory #46

My Styx Concerts
1996 I still remember this as one of my favorite concerts ever as it was the only time I was able to see Styx with Shaw, JY, and DeYoung together. I was too young to see them during their first period together so I had been looking forward to this for years. I really liked their stage setup that celebrated the Paradise Theater days and the setlist for the tour was as good as it gets. I recently bought the DVD release from this tour and it really shows how great these guys are together.

1999 This was the first time I saw the band with Gowan and he did not disappoint at all. He was a real showman and didn’t really take a back seat to the band like I assumed he would. I can remember waiting in line when tickets went on sale and it paid off as I got 3rd row seats and I caught my one and only pick from a concert ever from JY. I have seen hundreds of concerts and that is the only pick I ever got. The rumor that night was that there would be a Damn Yankees impromptu performance as Ted Nugent and Night Ranger were performing that night at our local amphitheater. It didn’t happen though.

2000 I saw them at the Missouri State Fair with REO Speedwagon. I remember this night mostly as the first time I got to see REO. I missed the first few Styx songs waiting in line to get my tickets from will call. I hate that! I missed out on backstage passes to an earlier show of the tour in Kansas City so I could attend my 10 year class reunion. What was I thinking?

2005 I actually didn’t get to see them that night. Styx were playing in a small Kansas town only eight miles from my hometown along with .38 Special and REO Speedwagon. The fact they were playing so close to home had me pumped for weeks. Unfortunately, a thunderstorm rolled through halfway through REO’s set and Styx’s performance was cancelled. It was a huge disappointment for me and my sister, who got me hooked on Styx when I was 6 years old.

2008 This was at Moondance Jam! If I remember right, James Young was really on that night and did a great version of Miss America. It was nice to get to see them for the first time since 2000, especially on the Moondance stage. It’s hard to believe but I haven’t seen them since then either. I remember everyone being shocked at how active Lawrence Gowan is on keyboards. He really has taken over Dennis DeYoung’s place in the band and you could tell that at this show. The only disappointing thing that day was not getting to meet the band – they didn’t do meet and greets. 

My Take – Now

Since I have loved this band since I was young, I could see them every year and not tire of them. I really hope one day I get to see them with my sister Tammy, since she got me hooked on them so many years ago. I am really looking forward to what the band does on this tour with Foreigner. There are some great possibilities and I hope we get to see them all jam onstage together. I don’t understand why they would all record “Hotel California” and then not perform it together to end the night. Makes no sense and I’m hoping that happens, even though it didn’t on opening night. If you haven’t heard it, check the link below. It really is good. I wish I could have seen them perform The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight back in 2010 and 2011 when they played them in their entirety. I really love those albums. I like that they are playing “Superstars” from The Grand Illusion though. It is a very good song but unknown to most people.

My Take – Then
It is true that I have been listening to Styx since I was in first grade. My sister got me hooked on music and I am forever grateful. I can remember sitting and listening to Styx, Meat Loaf, Billy Joel, and KISS for hours. In fact I still have some of the 8-tracks and albums from those days. Styx has been one of my favorite bands my whole life and I am really looking forward to seeing the band on the Moondance Jam stage. I am not usually one to try to meet bands but Styx is one band I would like to meet. This will be the first meet and greet I have ever signed up for at Moondance. While it may be a longshot, meeting and shaking hands with Tommy Shaw and James Young would be great. I have many Styx albums and CD’s and a couple live DVD’s. The strangest has to be the DVD Caught in the Act, which features the Kilroy Was Here tour. I can understand the frustration Shaw and JY must have felt as the theatrics from that tour were just too much. You can see it in the crowd’s faces that it just wasn’t quite what they expected. Although ideally DeYoung would still be in the band, I enjoy Shaw’s and JY’s songs better overall and Gowan is a great replacement. He can flat out sing and play keyboard. While I enjoyed DeYoung at Moondance a couple years ago it didn’t feel like Styx to me. The current version of Styx really rocks out and is a better fit for Moondance Jam than DeYoung’s current show. While I would prefer Styx to close out the jam, I am just glad they are able to make it this year. They have a huge catalog of hits that will have everyone singing all night. Right now this is the show I am most looking forward to this year.

Videos
The Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight (full album in concert) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8tFmGxHKEE
Come Sail Away - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MAg_yWsq8
Too Much Time on My Hands - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcKBmdfpWs
Blue Collar Man (Long Nights) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDM6v1XhWEg
Renegade - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkGQGz7dvTs
Fooling Yourself - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1HE50-fbYs
Light Up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pl6vBxTTko
Rockin’ the Paradise - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAbpG-dZIZM
The Grand Illusion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U2E-In0DDg
Superstars – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzbg9GM8Hk8
Crystal Ball - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b-i0XknSnM
Lady - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c--qOJ9PJZs
Hotel California (official release with Foreigner and Don Felder) - https://soundcloud.com/soundtrackofsumm ... er/s-XPVUZ
Hotel California (with Tommy Shaw raw video from 5/14) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UziApPyxL1s
The music brought me to Moondance Jam. The people bring me back.
View my profiles of this years' bands at: viewforum.php?f=38
View profiles of past bands at: viewforum.php?f=7
Chris

Re: Styx

Postby gopherboy6 » Fri May 16, 2014 7:05 am

Agree with all of this Chris, they were great with DeYoung, but Tommy and JY seem more comfortable now and Gowan really is a great frontman and entertainer. Hope Chuck makes an appearance at Moondance, that would be awesome!
Moondance Jam...the best 4, make that 7 days of my year!
gopherboy6

Postby ShermanND » Fri May 16, 2014 11:04 am

Great write up as usual Chris! I was wondering why they don't have Babe in their set list.
Probably their number one hit....
ShermanND

Postby gopherboy6 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:17 am

Babe is one of the songs that Tommy and JY didn't really enjoy playing, so I think that is why you don't see it in their set list. I remember watching a Behind the Music and a lot of the ballads were not the favorites of the rest of the band.
Moondance Jam...the best 4, make that 7 days of my year!
gopherboy6

Postby tlucke2006 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:45 am

Never seen Styx! Hard to believe since its one of my favorite bands. I blame you Chris for not taking me to one of their concerts. ;) Closest I've come is seeing Tommy Shaw in Damn Yankees at Lampe, Mo! What a show! :lol:
T-Lucky
tlucke2006

Postby Chris » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:49 am

tlucke2006 wrote:Never seen Styx! Hard to believe since its one of my favorite bands. I blame you Chris for not taking me to one of their concerts. ;) Closest I've come is seeing Tommy Shaw in Damn Yankees at Lampe, Mo! What a show! :lol:

Troy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to see you on here!

Yeah we should have seen them at some point back in the day. But as I remember, I didn't get to see Damn Yankees in Lampe either so we're even!
The music brought me to Moondance Jam. The people bring me back.
View my profiles of this years' bands at: viewforum.php?f=38
View profiles of past bands at: viewforum.php?f=7
Chris

Postby The TyGuy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:49 pm

"Love Is The Ritual" always reminds me of Winger's "Can't Get Enuff".
Moondance Jam 29 wishlist:
PAISTY JENNY
LILLIAN AXE
ENUFF Z'NUFF
POISON
The TyGuy

Postby The TyGuy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:23 pm

I've seen Styx 9 times already. This summer will be #10.
Moondance Jam 29 wishlist:
PAISTY JENNY
LILLIAN AXE
ENUFF Z'NUFF
POISON
The TyGuy

Return to 2014 - Jam 23 Bands