Moondance JamMoondance Jammin Country Fest

Don Felder

Don Felder

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:56 pm

Don Felder – Friday, July 19 at 7pm

Don Felder grew up in Gainesville, Florida and started playing guitar at age 10. He started his first band, The Continentals, with Stephen Stills at age 15. Future Eagles band mate Bernie Leadon replaced Stills and the band became known at the Maundy Quintet. After that group broke up, Felder joined a band named Flow and moved to New York. Flow recorded one jazz album before Felder left and moved to Boston and began working in a recording studio. After moving to California in 1972, he joined up with singer-songwriter David Blue and opened a few shows for Crosby and Nash. While in California and through his relationship with Leadon, Felder jammed with the Eagles on several occasions. In 1974, the band asked Felder to provide slide guitar on the song “Good Day in Hell.” The following day, they asked him to become a member of the band. The band released On the Border that year. In 1975, Felder provided lead vocals for “Visions,” from the One of These Nights album. He co-wrote that song as well as “Too Many Hands” from that album. The next year the band would release their legendary Hotel California album. The album was propelled by the enormous success of the title song, which Felder originally introduced to the band as an instrumental. Felder also co-wrote the hit “Victim of Love” from that album. The band would take three years to release The Long Run, their last album before breaking up. Felder co-wrote “The Disco Strangler” and “Those Shoes” for that album. After the Eagles broke up in 1980, Felder embarked on a solo career. He had two songs on the Heavy Metal soundtrack, “All Over You” and “Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride),” which was a #5 Mainstream Rock hit and #43 hit on the Billboard Hot 100. He released his only solo album, Airborne, in 1983. In 1994, the Eagles got back together for the Hell Freezes Over tour. Felder would continue as a member of the band until 2001, when he was fired. Felder sued the band, who in turn countersued Felder. The two sides settled out of court in 2007. In 2008, Felder released a bestselling book on his days with the Eagles titled Heaven and Hell: My Life with the Eagles 1974-2001. Felder’s career has taken a bit of an upswing recently with History of the Eagles documentary and with the release of the solo album Road to Nowhere in 2012. He will be going on his most high profile tour since being with the Eagles this summer as he tours the country with Styx and Foreigner on the Soundtrack to Summer Tour. The artists also plan to release a new collaborative recording of “Hotel California” to commemorate the tour. Don Felder will be playing Moondance Jam for the 3rd time after appearing at the festival in 2010 and 2012.

My Take - Then
I have to admit that Don Felder’s appearance at the jam is one that I will have to see before having a true opinion to share. I really didn’t know his history that well before he signed. I thought he was an original Eagle, but he actually joined them on their third album On the Border. He contributed two songs to each of the three albums following that album but only sang lead vocal on one song, the non hit “Visions.” So I can see why some people are skeptical about his performance. However, just hearing him perform the guitar solo he wrote on “Hotel California” alone is worthy of at least a 5pm slot at the jam. I am also looking forward to hearing his solo hit “Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride)” from the movie Heavy Metal. I am puzzled that he didn’t have a more descript solo career after starting out with that hit in 1981 after the Eagles broke up. He only had one more minor hit in 1983 with the song “Bad Girls.” I encourage you to check out the video (link above) of that song. If that doesn’t scream 80’s nothing does! I have checked out some of his recent solo clips and he sounds good, not only vocally but especially on guitar. He makes playing the guitar look effortless, which shows just how good he is.

My Take - Now
To this day one of my favorite Jam moments was taking a shower on an early afternoon in 2010 and hearing what sounded like live Eagles. I hurried out and went in the grounds before they officially opened and watched Don Felder play 5 or 6 Eagles' classics to a crowd of maybe 20 people in what was really just a soundcheck. It was awesome, and it was a preview of what was to come later that night when people just streamed into the jam grounds as he played the Eagles hit after hit. There was singing and dancing all over the venue that night at what has to go down as one of the all-time surprise performances at Moondance Jam. I missed his performance in 2012 but I heard he put on another great show. I am really excited to see him hopefully take the stage with Styx and Foreigner. I am glad that his career has taken a swing upward recently. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact people finally understand how some of the Eagles treated him (namely Glenn Frey) both when he was a member of the band and after their first reunion tour. I read Felder’s book as well (great read by the way) and he chronicles his time and problems with the Eagles. In my opinion, the only reason he is not currently with the Eagles is greed on the part of Glenn Frey and even Don Henley. I would actually be surprised if we ever see a release of the “Hotel California” collaboration he did with Styx and Foreigner. I envision that Frey and Henley will do whatever they can to keep that from seeing the light of day. I hope I am wrong. I am definitely pumped to see his show this year and really hope all 3 bands do perform together and close the night with “Hotel California.” That would be something jammers would talk about forever.

Did You Know?
Don started his first band, The Continentals, with Moondance Jam alum Stephen Stills of Crosby, Stills, and Nash.
Felder attended Gainesville High School along with Tom Petty and future Eagle bandmate Bernie Leadon.
Felder even gave Tom Petty guitar lessons.
Felder’s “Hotel California” was originally called “Mexican Bolero.”
Felder’s song from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, “Never Surrender,” was co-written with Kenny Loggins.
Fellow Eagle Timothy B. Schmidt appears on Felder’s solo album Airborne.
Schmidt and Don Henley sing backing vocals on Felder’s song “Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride).”
In 1985 and 1986, Felder hosted the musical comedy show FTV.
Prior to his firing in 2001, only Glenn Frey and Don Henley had spent more time in the band than Felder.
Felder temporarily replaced David Lindley in the Crosby Nash band when Lindley became ill.
Graham Nash asked Felder to play on his tour before the Eagles came calling, causing Felder to turn Nash down.
Felder was a guest musician on albums by Stevie Nicks, the Bee Gees, Diana Ross, Bob Seger, and Joe Walsh.
Felder and the Eagles became members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.
Cheech Marin is featured in the video for Felder’s song “Bad Girls.” (See video link below.)
He toured with Peter Frampton in 2013 on Frampton’s Guitar Circus tour.
Felder fashioned his logo after the logo for his favorite type of guitar, Fender.
Don released a solo album, Road to Forever, in 2012. He rereleased the album on March 25 with 4 previously unreleased tracks.
The album has many guest artists, including David Crosby, Graham Nash, Stephen Stills, Toto’s Steve Lukather, David Paich, and Steve Porcaro, Randy Jackson, and Styx’s Tommy Shaw.
He is touring this summer with Styx and Foreigner on the Soundtrack of Summer Tour.
The artists have recorded a version of “Hotel California” that will soon be released.

Setlist – Oct. 12, 2013 in Salamanca, NY

Hotel California
Already Gone
One of These Nights
Pride and Joy
Wash Away
Victim of Love
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Tequila Sunrise
Seven Bridges Road
Those Shoes
Girls in Black
Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride)
The Long Run
Witchy Woman
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fast Lane
Encore:
Take It Easy

Eagles’ Songs Co-written by Felder
Visions (only Eagles’ song with Felder on lead vocal)
Too Many Hands
Victim of Love
Hotel California
The Disco Strangler
Those Shoes

Don Felder Albums
Airbourne (1983)
Heavy Metal Soundtrack – “Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride)” and “All of You”
Fast Times at Ridgemont High Soundtrack – “Never Surrender”
The Slugger’s Wife Soundtrack – “The Wild Life”
Road to Forever (2012) – Re-released in 2014 with 4 new songs

Solo Hits
“Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride)” – Mainstream Rock #5 in 1981
“Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride)” – The Billboard Hot 100 #43 in 1981
“Bad Girls” – Mainstream Rock #34 in 1983

Videos
Medley of Jukebox Hero, Hotel California, Blue Collar Man with Styx and Foreigner - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aGFlXxOcBk
I Want to Know What Love Is (with Styx and Foreigner) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uFkLBBCrbA
Take It Easy (Live) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGqDkXKN1Y
Hotel California (Live from Arsenio Hall) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfyd3QTyr-s
Fighting with Glenn Frey from History of the Eagles - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU1q6cy9GPY
Seven Bridges Road, Those Shoes (Live) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxDfDggWkNk
Wash Away the Pain (live on Artie Lange) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF5u0wwndz8
Over You (live on Artie Lange) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0eO7wF-xtM
Life in the Fast Lane (live 2012) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GJidFbtB44
Take It Easy (live with Tommy Shaw 2012) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp20lWlt1RM
Pride and Joy (live with John Stamos and Mike Love) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNhsozrkoyM
Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNG_Kn-m73M
All of You - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqALZ2fMcic
Bad Girls - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oIH8bNsRpU
The music brought me to Moondance Jam. The people bring me back.
View my profiles of this years' bands at: viewforum.php?f=38
View profiles of past bands at: viewforum.php?f=7
Chris

Re: Don Felder

Postby The TyGuy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:21 am

I'll have to make sure I pay attention to him this year. His setlist sounds amazing!! I had totally forgotten that he played Moondance in 2010.
Moondance Jam 29 wishlist:
PAISTY JENNY
LILLIAN AXE
ENUFF Z'NUFF
POISON
The TyGuy

Postby NDHouligan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:28 am

Chris,

Where in Kansas City are you from? Although I live in Fargo now, I grew up in Kansas City. As did some of the others in our group that will be attending MDJ. I lived and grew up in Leawood.

Nice Job on the Reviews!!

Patrick
Fargo, ND
Est 1969
NDHouligan

Postby petch53 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 am

The TyGuy wrote:I'll have to make sure I pay attention to him this year. His setlist sounds amazing!! I had totally forgotten that he played Moondance in 2010.

And 2012
I'm 56 and refuse to quit.
petch53

Postby ShermanND » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:11 am

Thank you Chris for the write up. Great job as always. I have seen Don both times at MDJ and he was fabulous.
I just want to remind all the Jammers to make sure they get there before he starts because the first song
is always "Hotel California" and if you are late you will miss it. (must be a contract thing with the Eagles
otherwise he would close with it). HIs whole set is great but Hotel California, of course, is a classic and
you do not want to miss it.
ShermanND

Postby The TyGuy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:47 am

petch53 wrote:
The TyGuy wrote:I'll have to make sure I pay attention to him this year. His setlist sounds amazing!! I had totally forgotten that he played Moondance in 2010.

And 2012

I watched him in 2012. Just don't know if I watched him in 2010.
Moondance Jam 29 wishlist:
PAISTY JENNY
LILLIAN AXE
ENUFF Z'NUFF
POISON
The TyGuy

Postby Lisa! » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:35 am

NDHouligan wrote:Chris,

Where in Kansas City are you from? Although I live in Fargo now, I grew up in Kansas City. As did some of the others in our group that will be attending MDJ. I lived and grew up in Leawood.

Patrick

Chris camps with us in Camp Howler, so I know where he lives for 4 days a year :D <-- and this is what he looks like, best smile at the Jam...well, maybe 2nd best.

Great job, Chris! And Howler & I will be sure to hit his show right away...we missed Hotel California~couldn't believe it! Wish I'd been at that sound check in 2010!!

Next year, bring on Joe Walsh!! Anything "bad" about him in that book?
"Moondance is made of memories, and memories are what bring this whole event alive." Bill Bieloh
RIP DJDizzyDarcy, I'll miss your Warm Hugs! God Bless
RIP Bill Bieloh-Thank You for Everything
RIP RichieRich, forever in CampHowler
Lisa!

Postby NDHouligan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:45 am

Lisa! wrote:

Patrick

Chris camps with us in Camp Howler, so I know where he lives for 4 days a year :D <-- and this is what he looks like, best smile at the Jam...well, maybe 2nd best.

Great job, Chris! And Howler & I will be sure to hit his show right away...we missed Hotel California~couldn't believe it! Wish I'd been at that sound check in 2010!!

Next year, bring on Joe Walsh!! Anything "bad" about him in that book?

Love Joe Walsh!! Hell yeah!!

cool that he camps with you guys! I will have to have some KC chatter with him! haha!
Fargo, ND
Est 1969
NDHouligan

Postby gopherboy6 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:01 pm

Great job again Chris, looking forward to the rest!
Moondance Jam...the best 4, make that 7 days of my year!
gopherboy6

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Patrick

I live in Liberty just north of KC but I grew up in a small Kansas town about 1 1/2 hours south of Leawood. I bet we have been to some of the same concerts over the years. We will definitely have to meet up at the jam this year. As Lisa said I camp in Camp Howler and I pretty much have a smile on my face throughout the jam.
The music brought me to Moondance Jam. The people bring me back.
View my profiles of this years' bands at: viewforum.php?f=38
View profiles of past bands at: viewforum.php?f=7
Chris

Next

Return to 2014 - Jam 23 Bands