Fuel

Fuel

Postby Chris » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Fuel – Saturday, July 16 at 7pm

Brett Scallions – Lead vocals, rhythm guitar
Yogi Lonich – Lead guitar, backing vocals
Brad Stewart – Bass
Ken Schalk - Drums

Originally known as Small the Joy, the band was formed in Brownsville, Tennessee in 1989 by guitarist and principal songwriter Carl Bell, drummer Jody Abbott, and bassist Jeff Abercrombie. Singer/guitarist Brett Scallions and keyboardist Erik Avakian joined the band in 1993. Later that year the band moved to Pennsylvania and started playing the local club circuit. The band recorded the EP Porcelain in 1996 and the song “Shimmer” started getting local airplay. This success helped them get signed to Sony 550, which helped them release another EP called Hazelton the following year. The band then signed a major label deal with Epic Records and went to work on their full-length debut album Sunburn. That album was released in 1998 and the single “Shimmer” became a #42 hit on the Billboard Hot 100. Jonathan Mover took over on drums for Abbot and the band set out on tour in support of the album. Mover didn’t last long as Kevin Miller took over for him later in 1998. “Bittersweet,” “Jesus or a Gun,” and “Sunburn” all hit the top 40 on the US Alternative chart, which helped the album go platinum with over a million in sales. The band did not suffer a sophomore slump on their next album as the 2000 follow-up Something Like Human hit #17 on the album chart and went double platinum behind the hit “Hemorrhage (In My Hands),” which reached #30 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. That song hit #1 on the US Alternative chart while three other songs, “Last Time,” “Innocent,” and “Bad Day” all hit the top 40 of that chart. Due to legal troubles with their label, the band didn’t release another album until 2003’s Natural Selection. While the album debuted at #15 on the charts, the album did not sell well despite the Billboard Hot 100 #52 hit “Falls on Me.” Two other songs, “Won’t Back Down” and “Million Miles” each hit the top 40 of the US Alternative chart. Cracks began to surface in the band as well and drummer Miller left in 2004. Lead singer Scallions left the band in early 2006 and the band was in need of a new singer as they went to work on a fourth album. About that time, American Idol participant Chris Daughtry performed a version of “Hemorrhage (In My Hands),” that became a top 10 iTunes download and brought renewed interest in the band. The band then offered their lead singing spot to Daughtry, who turned it down in favor of a solo career. Former Godsmack drummer Tommy Stewart took over on drums and Toryn Green became lead singer. The band released Angels & Devils in 2007 and debuted at #42 on the Billboard 200. The single “Wasted Time” reached #24 on the Mainstream Rock Chart. Scallion went on to sing with Riders on the Storm, the Doors tribute project with original Doors’ members Ray Manzarek and Robbie Krieger (see notes below). In 2009, Scallions and Abercrombie got back together and toured under the name Re-Fueled along with Buckcherry guitarist Yogi Lonich and drummer Ken Schalk. Former Shinedown bassist Brad Stewart then took over for Abercrombie. In April 2010, it was announced that Fuel would embark on a world tour. Confusion ensued over who the band would consist of but it turned out that the Fuel in the announcement was Scallion’s version that had been known as Re-Fueled. Since Abercrombie had already left due to not wanting to tour, this version of Fuel only consists of one original member in lead singer Scallions. There originally appeared to be problems between Scallions and Bell over this version of the band. However, Bell, who was the sole songwriter on almost all Fuel songs, has since announced that he and Scallions are now civil to each other. Former Shinedown guitarist Jasin Todd briefly took over on guitar before Lonich returned in 2011. Fuel will be making their first appearance at Moondance Jam and will play the 7pm slot on Saturday.

Did You Know?
The band released 4 EP’s from 1994 to 1998 before their first full-length album in 1998.
The band has sold over 3.5 million albums in the US.
“Shimmer” was featured in the movie Scream 3.
The band recorded “Walk the Sky” for the movie Godzilla.
Singer Scallions suffered a deviated septum after colliding with guitarist Bell on stage.
“Won’t Back Down” was originally released for the movie Daredevil in 2003.
The album Natural Selection was nominated for a Grammy in 2004 for Best Engineered Album.
Fuel fans are known as Fuelies.
“Leave the Memories Alone,” was featured in wrestler Nature Boy Ric Flair’s farewell video tribute in 2008 on WWE’s Raw.
Singer Brett Scallions is the only original member of Fuel still with the band.
In his time off from the band, Scallions played bass in a band called The X’s.
He also currently has a side project called World Fire Brigade.
Fuel has only 4 tour dates listed for this summer.
The band opened for Bon Jovi at Hershey Stadium in Hershey, Pennsylvania in 2010.
They have also opened for Moondance Jam Thursday headliner 3 Doors Down.
Billboard lists “Hemorrhage (In My Hands)” as the #5 Rock song of the Decade.
MTV changed the name of “Jesus or a Gun” to “Jesus or a…” and muted the word “Gun” when playing the video.
Motley Crue’s Tommy Lee played drums on several tracks on their 2007 album Angels & Devils.

Moondance Jam Morrison Curse Connection
Fuel singer Brett Scallions sang for Riders on the Storm from 2007 to 2010. Riders on the Storm is the Doors tribute that contains original Doors’ members Ray Manzarek and Robbie Krieger. Riders on the Storm were originally known as The Doors of the 21st Century. Yes, the same Doors of the 21st Century that started the Morrison curse by cancelling their Moondance Jam 14 closing appearance in 2005. They were replaced at the last minute by Twisted Sister. The curse continued in 2006 when The New Cars were forced to cancel at the last minute due to Elliott Easton’s broken collar bone in a tour bus crash and were replaced by Poison. In 2007, The Family Stone dropped out right before the jam and Thundherstruck took their place. The next year (I think), Lynyrd Skynyrd dropped out after signing before Thanksgiving. Billy Idol was once signed as well (or close to it) and had to cancel. The last couple years were curse-free but this year I think the Morrison Curse struck twice. The Cult were very close to being signed this year but it didn’t happen. The Cult’s Ian Astbury was the lead singer of The Doors of the 21st Century the year they cancelled their jam appearance. And now we get the latest completion of the lineup in jam history with Fuel being announced on June 3. I think Jim Morrison was messing with us the whole time.

Billboard Album Chart
1998 Sunburn #77 Platinum
2000 Something Like Human #17 Double Platinum
2003 Natural Selection #15
2005 The Best of Fuel #114 Gold
2007 Angels & Devils #42
2008 Playlist: The Very Best of Fuel

Billboard Alternative Rock Chart (Billboard 100)
1998 Shimmer #2 (#42)
1998 Bittersweet #17
1999 Sunburn #31
1999 Jesus or a Gun #26
2000 Hemorrhage (In My Hands) #1 (#30)
2001 Last Time #25
2001 Innocent #4
2001 Bad Day #12 (#64)
2003 Won’t Back Down #37
2003 Falls on Me #11 (#52)
2004 Million Miles #33
2007 Wasted Time (#24 Mainstream Rock Chart)

Setlists
November 4, 2010 in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Last Time
Empty Spaces
Prove
Untitled
Sunburn
Slow (acoustic)
Bad Day (acoustic)
Tangerine (acoustic Zeppelin cover)
Shimmer
Bittersweet
Innocent
Headache
Ozone
Encore:
Didgeridoo Instrumental
Hideaway
Jesus or a Gun
Hemorrhage (In My Hands)

May 1, 2011 at Bamboozle Festival in East Rutherford, NJ
Last Time
Empty Spaces
Jesus or a Gun
Bittersweet
Sunburn
Bad Day
Shimmer
Hemorrhage (In My Hands)

My Take
Fuel came along right at the end of the time I was still paying attention to new music regularly. When my first child came along in 2001, I really didn’t have the time or energy to stay current with the new music scene. Because of this, I knew Fuel’s first few hits, mainly their two biggest hits “Shimmer” and “Hemorrhage (In My Hands),” as they came from 1998 to 2000, but nothing since then. In fact, I don’t think I had thought about the band at all until American Idol’s Chris Daughtry was offered the lead singing spot with the band after his version of “Hemorrhage (In My Hands)” brought the song, and the band, back into the spotlight in 2006. At the time I thought Daughtry was a fool for turning down the job, but that shows what I know as he has had a nice solo career. Since their Moondance jam signing, I have purchased their greatest hits. I am now more familiar with their catalog and I am looking forward to their show. It was interesting reading their bio and finding out that Scallions is the only original member left. To me, it kind of seems like he took the band back from the other original members since he knows most fans want to hear him sing the songs more than they want to hear the original band play the music to the songs. For that I am torn and am having trouble fully embracing this version of the band, especially since original guitarist Carl Bell wrote all of their hits. However, the former band members now seem to be ok with what is going on with Scallions’ version of the band so I should probably just get over it. It still seems kind of Axl Rose-ish to me though. I am sure most casual fans will not know the history behind this version of the band so in the big scheme of things it probably doesn’t matter. I know a lot of jammers from that era are really looking forward to their appearance. I think they have the potential to be a band that will be remembered for really delivering a good performance without a lot of big expectations.

Videos
Hemorrhage (In My Hands) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbHfgXJKn1Y
Bad Day - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGHnYD2y ... ure=relmfu
Innocent - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-qEd9ea ... ure=relmfu
Won’t Back Down - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhe_OwGg ... ure=relmfu
Shimmer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0QMfK9hzgA
Sunburn - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR7RK9Sy ... re=related
Jesus or a Gun - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34dWotPA ... re=related
Bittersweet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq5IUo9XZNU
Last Time - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfbycguwCJU
Won’t Back Down - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhe_OwGggnQ
Falls on Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlG_bHG0Ks
Million Miles - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml2RBoLotZY
The music brought me to Moondance Jam. The people bring me back.
View my profiles of this years' bands at: viewforum.php?f=38
View profiles of past bands at: viewforum.php?f=7
Chris

Re: Fuel

Postby Lisa! » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:12 am

Awesome, Chris, as always. I will hafta check out their tunes. Nice linkage to MDJ... I'd like to comment on the Morrison Curse but I don't want to give it any more power, ya know?! It's all good. :D
"Moondance is made of memories, and memories are what bring this whole event alive." Bill Bieloh
RIP DJDizzyDarcy, I'll miss your Warm Hugs! God Bless
RIP Bill Bieloh-Thank You for Everything
RIP RichieRich, forever in CampHowler
Lisa!

Postby The Jam Web Guy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:44 am

Nice brush up on the Morrison curse! Billy Idol was in there too. I don't recall if he was actually signed or not before he decided to do a Europe tour.
The Jam Web Guy
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:17 am

The Jam Web Guy wrote:Nice brush up on the Morrison curse! Billy Idol was in there too. I don't recall if he was actually signed or not before he decided to do a Europe tour.

I figured there was someone I missed. I do remember Billy Idol now.
Chris

Postby The TyGuy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:14 pm

I must say I really enjoyed Twisted Sister AND Poison when they filled in at the last minute.
Moondance Jam 29 wishlist:
PAISTY JENNY
LILLIAN AXE
ENUFF Z'NUFF
POISON
The TyGuy

Postby Chris » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:24 am

Better setlist from Nov. 4, 2010 in Fort Lauderdale, Fl

Last Time
Empty Spaces
Prove
Untitled
Sunburn
Slow (acoustic)
Bad Day (acoustic)
Tangerine (acoustic Zeppelin cover)
Shimmer
Bittersweet
Innocent
Headache
Ozone
Encore:
Didgeridoo Instrumental
Hideaway
Jesus or a Gun
Hemorrhage (In My Hands)
Chris

Return to 2011 - Jam 20 Bands