KISS

KISS

Postby Chris » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:17 pm

KISS – Friday, July 15 at 11pm

Paul Stanley – Guitar, vocals
Gene Simmons – Bass, vocals
Tommy Thayer – Guitar, vocals
Eric Singer – Drums, vocals

Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley first formed the band Wicked Lester in New York City in 1971 and found Peter Criss in a magazine ad in 1972. Soon the band started experimenting with makeup and stage outfits. A showcase that year for Epic Records did not secure a record deal. In early 1973, Ace Frehley joined the group and the band changed its name to Kiss. Bill Aucoin, after seeing their show a handful of times, offered to become the band’s manager and was able to get the band a record deal with the Neal Bogart label that would soon become Casablanca Records. Each member also became characters, with Paul Stanley as The Starchild, Gene Simmons as The Demon, Ace Frehley as The Spaceman, and Peter Criss as The Catman. The band went to work on their first album, a self-titled effort that was released on February 18, 1973. Despite heavy promotion, touring, and a performance on Dick Clark’s American Bandstand, the album did not sell well. Knowing the band needed a hit, the band recorded “Kissin’ Time,” a cover of a 1959 Bobby Rydell hit. The song was added to first album that summer but did not fare well on the charts, only reaching #79. The band continued touring and went to work on a 2nd album. Hotter than Hell was released on October 22, 1974 and sold much like the first album. A single, “Let Me Go, Rock and Roll,” failed to chart. Bogart took over as the producer of their 3rd album, Dressed to Kill, released March 19, 1975. The only single that reached the chart was “Rock and Roll All Nite” at #68. While struggling with album sales, the band was generating a buzz as a live act, which led the band to record the double live album that would change the band’s fortunes, Alive! , which was released September 10, 1975. The version of “Rock and Roll All Nite” from this album went to #12 on the charts, helping the album go gold. The album also helped save Casablanca Records. The band returned to the studio with momentum and in March of 1976 released Destroyer. The album initially sold well, going gold, but then started to fade before the release of “Beth.” The song, featuring Peter Criss on vocals, shot all the way to #7 on the charts and Destroyer became the band’s first platinum album while rising to #11. The band continued their fast pace of making records and released Rock and Roll Over on November 11, 1976. The album, which reached #11, also went platinum behind two top 20 hits, “Hard Luck Woman” at #15 and “Calling Dr. Love” at #16. Love Gun followed shortly after on June 30, 1977, another platinum album that became their highest charting album to that point, reaching #4 behind the #25 hit “Christine Sixteen.” In October 1977, Alive II was released and continued the band’s platinum streak while a live version of “Calling Dr. Love” reached #16. The album also contained one side of new studio songs, of which the Ace Frehley sung “Rocket Ride” reached #39. The band also started appearing in comic books and selling a wide variety of Kiss merchandise that became a huge revenue stream for the band that continues today. Also, their fan club Kiss Army, which had been started by fans in 1975, had grown to over 100,000 members. Next it was time for a greatest hits album, Double Platinum, released April 2, 1978. The album did go platinum, but ironically, never went double platinum. Next, the band did something never seen before in music history, all four members released solo albums on the same day, September 18, 1978. However, the solo albums did not sell as well as hoped and quickly fell off the charts. Only Ace’s album had a minor hit, with a remake of Hello’s “New York Groove” reaching #13. The band also tried their hand in movies in 1978, starring in Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park. While the movie achieved high TV ratings, it was panned by critics, fans, and even the band themselves. However, merchandise sales would reach over $100 million dollars by 1979. In May of that year, the band would return for their first new material together in 2 years with the album Dynasty. The album went platinum, rising to #9 behind the #11 hit “I Was Made For Lovin’ You.” The Dynasty Tour proved less lucrative than previous tours and problems began to show in the band. After the tour, Criss wouldn’t play with the band again until 1996. Anton Fig, who had actually performed drums on all but one track of the Dynasty album, would be called upon again for the album Unmasked. Released on May 20, 1980, the album did not sell well and failed to reach platinum status. Before the tour for Unmasked, the band hired Eric Carr to take Criss’s place behind the kit. Carr’s stage character and makeup was The Fox. Carr’s first show with the band, in New York City, proved to be the band’s only US show behind Unmasked. The band still performed a highly successful tour of Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. The tour proved to be Frehley’s last tour with the band until 1996 as well. Another misstep followed this tour with a release of a concept album titled Music from The Elder in 1981. It became the first Kiss album to not even reach gold status and only reached #75 on the charts. Another hits album, Killers, was next followed by 1982’s Creatures of the Night, which did not sell well and only contained one minor hit, “I Love It Loud.” Several guitarists filled Ace’s spot on the album, including Vinnie Vincent, who would become an official member of Kiss after Ace left. The band finally removed their makeup for the release of Lick It Up. The album was released on September 18, 1983, the same day the band unveiled themselves to the world without makeup for the first time on MTV. The album went gold and reached #22 behind the title song, which reached #66. Vincent left after the tour to be replaced briefly by Mark St. John, who performed on their next album, 1984’s Animalize. The album went double platinum, their best selling release since Alive II behind the #49 hit “Heaven’s on Fire.” Bruce Kulick took over for St. John and the lineup would be stable for the rest of the 80’s as the band scored a string of platinum albums. 1985’s Asylum was helped by the hit “Tears are Falling” and 1987’s Crazy Nights rose to #18 behind “Crazy Crazy Nights” and “Reason to Live.” Another greatest hits album, Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits , would make it three platinum albums in a row. While 1989’s Hot in the Shade only went gold, the song “Forever” proved to be their highest charting song since “Beth,” reaching #8. Tragically, Carr passed away from cerebral hemorrhages following the discovery of tumors in his heart and lungs. Eric Singer took over on drums for 1992’s Revenge, which went gold behind a string of Mainstream Rock hits. Alive III, the first live album without makeup, was released in 1993. In 1995, the band started all-day conventions around the world. The conventions featured a wide array of Kiss memorabilia and members performed acoustic sets. Criss performed two songs with the band for the first time in 16 years at the first US show. Later in 1995, the band performed on MTV’s Unplugged, with Criss and Frehley joining the band for the final four songs. The momentum was clearly building for a reunion and all four members appeared together in full makeup (however not performing) at the 1996 Grammy Awards. That summer, the band started a reunion tour that would last nearly a year and be the highest grossing tour in the world at the time. The band would release their first album together since 1980 with 1998’s Psycho Circus and embark on a world tour in support of the album. The album went gold behind the title song, which hit #1 on Mainstream Rock chart. The band then announced a Farewell Tour that would take place from 2000 to 2001. Halfway through the tour, Criss would leave the band yet again and Singer would return to the drums, donning The Catman makeup and becoming the first non-original to take on an original’s stage character. The band would take a break, only appearing at the closing ceremony for the 2002 Olympics, which proved to be Frehley’s last performance with the band. Tommy Thayer would start making appearances with the band in Ace’s Spaceman makeup. The band recorded a fourth live album, Kiss Symphony: Alive IV in 2003 with Criss back on the drums and that summer embarked on a co-headlining tour with Aerosmith. Singer took over for Criss yet again in 2004 as the band went on the Rock the Nation tour. The band would only play a handful of shows each year until embarking on the Kiss Alive/35 Tour in 2008. In 2009, the band released Sonic Boom, which debuted at #2 on the charts. The release also included a CD of re-recorded Kiss classics and a short concert DVD. The band would again stage a major tour in support of the album. The band is still touring behind Sonic Boom on what is dubbed the Hottest Show on Earth Tour (sometimes playing as many as 21 songs a night!) and will be making their first appearance at Moondance Jam.

Did You Know?
Kiss is #10 on VH1’s list of Greatest Artists of Hard Rock and #56 on their list of 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.
They are #1 on Hit Parader’s Top 100 Live Bands list and #9 on MTV’s Greatest Metal Bands list.
Ace Frehley designed the Kiss logo.
The band’s first show on January 30, 1973 was at the Popcorn Club in Queens, to an audience of 3 people.
Casablanca Records was originally called Emerald City Records.
Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park is included in Kissology Volume II.
Drummer Anton Fig (Late Night with David Letterman) recorded the drum tracks for all the songs on Dynasty but one, “Dirty Livin’.”
The band’s first big gig was on December 31, 1973 opening for Blue Oyster Cult.
Kiss played “Nothin’ to Lose,” “Firehouse,” and “Black Diamond” on Dick Clark’s American Bandstand to promote their first album.
Alive! Ranked #159 in Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Albums of All Time in 2003.
“Shout It Out Loud,” from Destroyer, reached #1 in Canada in 1976.
Bob Kulick, brother of future (at the time) and now former guitarist Bruce Kulick, played guitar on three of the studio tracks from Alive II.
In 1977, the band sold out five straight nights at Budokan Hall, breaking the Beatles’ record of four.
After 10 years of eligibility, Kiss was nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2009.
However, they were not voted into the Hall of Fame.
Kiss has released three volumes of live shows and video clips spanning their entire career called Kissology.
Kiss released all the Alive albums together in 2006 in a box set titled Kiss Alive! 1975-2000.
The band opened the Kiss Coffeehouse in Myrtle Beach, SC in 2006.
“Rock and Roll All Nite” is part of the soundtrack for 1993’s movie Dazed and Confused.
A scene in the movie depicts statues being stolen and dressed as members of Kiss.
The Double Platinum greatest hits album never went double platinum.
Despite being billed as a reunion album, the only song on Psycho Circus that featured performances from all four members is “Into the Void.”
Moondance Jam veterans Poison recorded a cover of “Rock and Roll All Nite” and regularly play the song in concert.
Paul Stanley has released two solo albums, the latest 2006’s Live to Win.
He also is a painter and has held exhibits of his art.
Gene Simmons’ real name is Chaim Witz.
He and Shannon Tweed (never married) have two children. The family is featured on the reality Gene Simmons Family Jewels.
He also has made numerous TV and film appearances both as an actor and as himself.
Eric Singer has been in a number of bands, including being an original member of Badlands.
His first job was in Lita Ford’s band, followed by a stint with Black Sabbath.
He still performs with Alice Cooper when Kiss isn’t on tour.
Tommy Thayer was an original member of Black ‘n Blue.
He also was in a Kiss tribute band called Cold Gin.
Kiss has released 19 studio albums, with all charting in the top 100.
All 4 1978 solo albums charted in the top 40 and went platinum.
They have also had 7 live albums and 8 compilations/box sets reach the top 200.
Altogether they have had 14 platinum albums and 14 gold albums.
A 1977 Gallup Poll has Kiss as the most popular band in the USA.
The band’s first appearance in a comic book was in the Howard the Duck comic in May 1977.
The song “Psycho Circus” reached #1 on the Mainstream Rock chart on October 31, 1998.
While “Sure Know Something” and “Shandi” only reached #47 in the US, they both reached #5 in Australia.
These two hits followed “I Was Made For Lovin’ You,” which had hit #1 in Australia.
The 1999 movie Detroit Rock City depicts four teenagers trying to make it to a Kiss concert in Detroit in 1978.
The band plays “Detroit Rock City” live as the boys make it to the concert.

Billboard Singles
1974 Kissin’ Time #79
1975 Rock and Roll All Nite #68
1975 Rock and Roll All Nite (Live) #12
1976 Shout It Out Loud #31
1976 Flaming Youth #74
1976 Beth #7
1976 Hard Luck Woman #15
1977 Calling Dr. Love #16
1977 Christine Sixteen #25
1977 Love Gun #61
1977 Shout It Out Loud (Live) #31
1978 Rocket Ride #39
1978 New York Groove (Ace) #13
1979 I Was Made For Loving You #11
1979 Sure Know Something #47
1980 Shandi #47
1981 A World Without Heroes #56
1983Lick It Up #66
1984 Heaven’s On Fire #49
1985 Tears Are Falling #51
1987 Crazy Crazy Nights #65
1987 Reason to Live #64
1988 Let’s Put the X in Sex #97
1989 Hide Your Heart #66
1990 Forever #8
1990 Rise to It #81

Billboard Charting Albums
1974 Kiss #87
1974 Hotter Than Hell #100
1975 Dressed to Kill #32
1975 Alive! #9
1976 Destroyer #11
1976 Rock and Roll Over #11
1976 The Originals #36
1977 Love Gun #4
1977 Alive II #7
1978 Paul Stanley (solo) #40
1978 Gene Simmons (solo) #22
1978 Ace Frehley (solo) #26
1978 Peter Criss (solo) #43
1978 Double Platinum #22
1979 Dynasty #9
1980 Unmasked #35
1981 Music From the Elder #75
1982 Creatures of the Night #45
1983 Lick It Up #24
1984 Animalize #19
1985 Asylum #20
1987 Crazy Nights #18
1988 Smashes, Thrashes, & Hits #21
1989 Hot in the Shade #29
1992 Revenge #6
1993 Alive III #9
1996 Kiss Unplugged #15
1996 You Wanted the Best, You Got the Best!! #17
1997 Greatest Kiss #77
1997 Carnival of Souls: The Final Sessions #27
1998 Psycho Circus #3
2001 The Box Set #128
2002 The Very Best of Kiss #52
2003 Kiss Symphony: Alive IV #18
2003 The Best of Kiss: The Millennium Collection #132
2006 Kiss Alive! 1975-2000 #167
2009 Sonic Boom #2

My Take
There are only a few bands that have changed the way I think about music; Led Zeppelin in high school and Pearl Jam in college to name a couple. However, had it not been for Kiss, I may never have even thought about music. When I was probably 6 years old, somehow (my older sister probably) I got my hands on Kiss Alive II. The cover alone scared me, but the music would become part of the soundtrack of my youth. From the opening line “You wanted the best, you got the best. The hottest band in the world…Kiss!” through the end of side three, I knew the album word for word. I can still air guitar “Shock Me” note for note. I was Ace Frehley! I’m not sure what I thought Gene wanted to do with the subject of “Christine Sixteen” but I wanted to know. I loved the passion Peter Criss sang with on “Hard Luck Woman” and “Beth.” I had no idea where Detroit was but I wanted to go there because they were a rock city! I would love to go back in time and listen to that album at that age again, on vinyl of course! Vinyl just made it sound grittier. I honestly stared at the gatefold of that album for hours. I dreamed about seeing Kiss live for years through that picture alone. Of course the Kiss I first loved was essentially gone by the time I started going to concerts. Oh there was still a Kiss, but they were just another band to me then. No makeup, no mystique, just another rock band. A very good rock band but they no longer held a special place in my musical heart. I attended countless concerts throughout the late 80’s and early 90’s, but never Kiss. As I look back it may have been because subconsciously I was holding out for the real thing, the band that helped hook me on music at such a young age. Imagine my excitement when they walked onto the stage at the Grammy’s in 1996 in full makeup. And then they announce a reunion tour! I remember I was at a conference in Iowa the day they performed in Kansas City and I drove 6 hours (very fast!) to make it to the show (coincidentally, Alice in Chains opened, their last show ever with Layne Staley). I was so in awe that I was finally seeing them I just remember standing there with my mouth open most of the night. They returned in 1998 and I got 3rd row tickets to see them again, so close I could feel the heat off the KISS lighted sign. That show is still one of the top 5 concerts I have ever seen. Paul rode a cord over the crowd and Ace was 10 feet away from me most of the night! The crowd reaction that night was the craziest I have ever seen. They returned again in 2000 with Aerosmith, but both bands’ shows that night would rank in the bottom 5 concerts I have ever seen. No passion from either band, I think both were just playing for the paycheck. Also, without my childhood guitar idol Ace, it just wasn’t the same. I have not seen them since but have since attempted to turn my boys onto Kiss the way I was as a child. I have bought all 3 Kissology releases and I have spent countless hours watching disc 2 of Kissology 2 with my youngest son. That disc, of course, features Ace Frehley, now my son’s guitar idol. He is still angry that Kiss fired him (twice!) and he refuses to watch Kiss if Tommy Thayer is playing. He wouldn’t go see Kiss if Ace wasn’t playing. I’m not exaggerating. Heck, the little known song “Talk to Me,” sung by Ace (check it out below), is his favorite Kiss song. He couldn’t believe the Kiss tribute band we saw recently didn’t play it. His love of Kiss has rejuvenated my love for the band. I was very impressed with 2009’s Sonic Boom album and the live clips I have seen of them the last few years are amazing, even without Ace. Check out all the recent live clips below, they look and sound great. We are in for an amazing night of music. On a side note, I was able to see Ace a couple years ago in a small venue and was blown away. He played the “Shock Me” solo note-for-note and I was one happy fan. He is also getting ready to release his first book, which I can’t wait to read. I read Gene’s first book, which was good, but I pretty much take everything he says with a grain of salt. I attended my first Kiss convention a few years ago here in KC and discovered there are much bigger fans out there than me. Much bigger. Wow. Just wow. Anyway…since I have attended Moondance there was always one band that I hoped would one day play the jam more than any other. That band is Kiss. There will be a buzz around Moondance on that Friday that will beat even what Def Leppard brought in 2007. This signing makes the jam for me. I can imagine most every conversation in jam land before they play will eventually lead to “Kiss is playing Moondance!” And I’m guessing most conversations in jam land after Kiss plays will eventually lead to “Can you believe Kiss played Moondance!” Yes, I’m looking forward to Paul Rodgers. And Stone Temple Pilots are closing the jam! Any other year that is what I would be most pumped about. But we are getting Kiss at Moondance, the place we all love so much! I am thankful my love of music has not diminished as I’ve gotten older and a lot of that has to do with the jam. Moondance Jam has made me think as much about music as an adult as Kiss did when I was a kid. And now I get to experience them both at the same time. I still can’t believe I am getting to see Kiss on the Moondance Jam stage!

Setlists
May 29, 2011 at West Sacramento, CA
Modern Day Delilah
Cold Gin
Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll
Firehouse
Say Yeah
Deuce
Calling Dr. Love
Shock Me
I'm an Animal
100,000 Years
I Love It Loud
Love Gun
Black Diamond
Detroit Rock City
Encore:
Shout It Out Loud
Rock and Roll All Nite

March 17, 2011 in Hollywood, Fl
Modern Day Delilah
Cold Gin
Let Me Go, Rock ‘n’ Roll
Firehouse
Say Yeah
Deuce
Crazy Crazy Nights
Calling Dr. Love
Shock Me
I’m an Animal
100,000 Years
I Love It Loud
Love Gun
Black Diamond
Detroit Rock City
Beth
Lick It Up
Shout It Out Loud
I Was Made For Lovin’ You
Rock and Roll All Nite

October 2, 2010 in Guadalajara, Mexico and other Mexico shows
Same setlist plus God Gave Rock and Roll to You II before Rock and Roll All Nite

Videos
Access to 20 official videos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZjevnnk ... force_ap=1
I Was Made for Lovin’ You - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNGNLo8K6Fk
Forever (with Melbourne Symphony) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8LSQNdk ... re=related
Shandi - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNUz4VbuZeM
Talk to Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-fvRsB ... re=related
New York Groove - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9icqBTlX ... re=related
Rock and Roll All Nite - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7zVlPRK ... re=related
Hard Luck Woman - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_EIufhj ... re=related
Beth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbtO_Ayjw0M

Live HD videos from 2010 Rock Am Ring – Great Quality!
Modern Day Delilah (new song) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUCrd9T7N3E
Say Yeah (new song) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8oWbiONrsc
I’m an Animal (new song) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrLbT4JSoBo
Crazy Crazy Nights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-lpQG19 ... re=related
Calling Dr. Love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faCGgv2W ... re=related
Shock Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2QyuSwl ... re=related
Lick It Up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DCcmCp6 ... re=related
Love Gun - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KLkrnDa ... re=related
I Was Mad for Lovin’ You - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJOKcJb ... re=related
Rock and Roll All Nite - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjecEJH4 ... re=related
Detroit Rock City - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUkWDmk ... re=related
Beth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRfkMfbr ... re=related
Firehouse - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvNgdyzX ... re=related
Let Me Go, Rock and Roll - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym_ytRoH ... re=related
The music brought me to Moondance Jam. The people bring me back.
View my profiles of this years' bands at: viewforum.php?f=38
View profiles of past bands at: viewforum.php?f=7
Chris

Re: KISS

Postby Chagen77 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:05 am

WOW...awesome again Chris. We must be about the same age, I'm 41, cuz my memories of Kiss as a kid mirror yours almost exactly. Starting with a mixture of fear and facination and leading to a love of their music. As well as later on them being "just another (good) band" when the makeup came off. Where we differ is that I have never seen them and never thought I would. Can't wait for this years Jam :)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
Chagen77

Postby The TyGuy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:54 am

"They returned again in 2000 with Aerosmith, but both bands’ shows that night would rank in the bottom 5 concerts I have ever seen. No passion from either band, I think both were just playing for the paycheck".

Have to agree with you on this one Chris. I was a show with both Aerosmith and Kiss. Neither band really impressed me much. I was impressed with Kiss the time I saw them with Poison as their opener in Sommerset WI. That was a fun show.....(I was pretty drunk at that time and had got separated from some friends I hadn't seen since childhood. I remember I had to borrow somebody's cell phone just so I couold track down my friends that night).
Moondance Jam 29 wishlist:
PAISTY JENNY
LILLIAN AXE
ENUFF Z'NUFF
POISON
The TyGuy

Postby Herschel » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:20 pm

The first Kiss concert I ever attended was on their "10th Anniversary Tour" in support of "Creatures of the Night" with Wendy O. Williams and the Plasmatics opening. My dad had promised to take me if they ever came to town (I was well too young to drive) but he was busy that night so mom got the call. She actually enjoyed them but was undewhelmed with Wendy O. and Co.

I hadn't heard the new album yet but when Eric Carr thundered in to the opening riff of the title track I was in heaven. I was anticipating for weeks hearing "Detroit Rock City" as the opening song but was not disappointed. To this day, "Creatures" may still be my favorite show opener even over the latter, which they played then to close before the encore. Eric Carr's silver Ludwig kit was mounted atop a tank turret and Vinnie Vincent was on guitar. Carr is still my favorite rock drummer to this day (Sorry Neil, Carl and terry) and with Bruce Kulick on guitar I was able to see them a few more times. The last time I saw them was on the "Psycho Circus" tour.

I remeber being excited because Queensryche was their opener for the first leg of one of the tours, Asylum IIRC, but heard they were not going to be on teh second leg. They were replaced by Dokken, which ended up being great anyway.
Herschel

Postby Daytona Jones » Tue May 31, 2011 1:06 pm

This is probably what it will look like at MDJ for Kiss' concert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi2YsESrZHA

Dj.
The Climate Change That I am Worried About is "Global Cooling"
Daytona Jones

Postby Chris » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:14 am

Setlist from May 29, 2011 at West Sacramento, CA

Modern Day Delilah
Cold Gin
Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll
Firehouse
Say Yeah
Deuce
Calling Dr. Love
Shock Me
I'm an Animal
100,000 Years
I Love It Loud
Love Gun
Black Diamond
Detroit Rock City
Encore:
Shout It Out Loud
Rock and Roll All Nite
The music brought me to Moondance Jam. The people bring me back.
View my profiles of this years' bands at: viewforum.php?f=38
View profiles of past bands at: viewforum.php?f=7
Chris

Return to 2011 - Jam 20 Bands