Moondance JamMoondance Jammin Country Fest

Fun Topic - Camping Tips/Tricks/Checklists

Moondance Jam 29
July 16-18, 2020

Fun Topic - Camping Tips/Tricks/Checklists

Postby Davage » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:35 pm

It's currently the middle of winter. As an escape from this winter, I like to spend time thinking about Moondance Jam and all of the camping fun that I'm going to have. I know that many people like to plan the Jam for months in advance, just like me. I thought that it would be fun to start up a topic where we can all discuss tips/tricks and even checklists of things that people bring to the Jam for the camping experience.

Camping is over 50% of the Moondance Experience for me.. I have a spreadsheet where I've listed everything we're bringing to the Jam, as well as estimated costs for everything we need, just so that I make sure that I save up enough cash throughout the next few months to buy what we need.

Please post your tips/tricks/checklists too.

Tips/Tricks # 1 - Throw a case of bottled water into the freezer about a week before Moondance Jam to let them completely freeze. Frozen water bottles keep the beer cold in the cooler, and they also provide something to drink during the 80+ degree sunny days that we're going to have.

Tips/Tricks # 2 - Do up a meal plan. Rather than just showing up at the grocery store and buying 40 bags of potato chips, 8 pounds of bacon and some frozen burgers, do up a plan.

Tips/Tricks # 2.5 Chef Boyardee cans these days have the pop-tops on them - no can openers required! Don't bring any canned goods that require a can opener. Trying to open a can of food with a cheap can opener after drinking usually involves a mess, or injury.

Tips/Tricks # 3 - Baby Wipes are awesome for wiping down your face or other body parts if you are feeling a little grungy.

Tips/Tricks # 4 - Hmmm.. How do I put this one out there without everybody (at least the ladies) saying "GROSS!". Guys. Buy a few bottles of Gatorade. Drink one each day, and keep the bottles handy, just in case you feel the urge to pee during the night, but don't feel like stumbling over to the porta potty :)

Tips/Tricks # 5 - Bring an extra loaf of bread or english muffins, just in case one loaf gets left out in the rain.

Tips/Tricks # 6 - Paper Plates - No washing involved, and can be used to help light the fire for those who have camp fires.

Tips/Tricks # 7 - Somewhere on your camera, write your cell #, just in case you lose your camera - maybe someone will call your cell

Tips/Tricks # 8 - Somewhere on your cell phone, write your home phone #, just in case you loose your cell phone.

Checklist - Things not to forget.
-------
- Ear Plugs - for the times that you get the urge to go into the saloon bar and stand right next to the amp
- Toilet Paper - Just In Case... You never know if the porta-potty is going to run out.
- Sharp Knife - for opening up food packaging
- Rope and tent pegs- Bring some rope and extra tent pegs, in case it gets windy and you need to tie things down.

Everybody else, post your fun tricks/tips/checklists.. I have more, but I'm curious as to whether anybody else has the same things on their list.

:D
Davage

Re: Fun Topic - Camping Tips/Tricks/Checklists

Postby Lisa! » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:37 pm

One thing we do - or try to do - is to buy some of our beer and booze earlier, starting around now and each paycheck til the Jam... that way we don't have one huge trip to the liquor store where we spend $400+ and then have to carry it all at once. We also ask our Canadian friends to bring us Canadian brews & get help stocking the bar! LOL

As far as food, we've learned over the years that we don't go crazy mad with food plans... we bring quick easy things - dogs, ham sandwiches, chips, nuts, fruit - and we actually plan to eat at least one meal inside from the yummy vendors (so a good idea is to start saving a little $ for that, too). I's gots to have me a porkchop-ona-stick!!

And the breakfast buffet/bloody mary bar at the Lazy Moon is a good way to start the day! (Note the saving up $ for this too, but it's well worth it!). We start the day with bloody marys no matter where we get 'em.

For those who have big sites with lots of Jammers, planning your set up before you get there will help, too. Gotta GIT there GIT set up and let the festivities begin! Don't want to hafta sit there with 10 campers and trucks and tents, plus a bar, pool table, DRINKO board, hammerschlagger, fire pit, porta pottie... and NOT have a plan!!

Great ideas with the water bottles and cell & cameras, but I'm not gonna lie... #4? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

117 Days Babies!!!!!!!!!
"Moondance is made of memories, and memories are what bring this whole event alive." Bill Bieloh
RIP DJDizzyDarcy, I'll miss your Warm Hugs! God Bless
RIP Bill Bieloh-Thank You for Everything
RIP RichieRich, forever in CampHowler
Lisa!

Postby Doug » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Excellent list. I tend to keep ear plugs in my tent so I can sleep when necessary without being startled awake by those random explosions with a 'WHOOOO!' chaser at 4:30 AM. I have always done the frozen water bottle idea, dual purpose plus saves on buying ice. Not only that but cubes melt much quicker....the whole increased surface area thing, much the same reason sugar or salt is granulated, don't have to stir as long before it's dissolved. I too have realized over the past several years that grand meal plans tend to never go through as intended, and cooking is best done early during the Jam so there's less to keep cool after its used and less worry of having to prepare it soon so it doesn't spoil. What I do bring for a meal item is usually prepared in advance the Tuesday night before so all it needs is heating up, if that. If I had a dollar for every time my little Weber grill got knocked over DURING grilling when I was in general, and having to pick sand and grass off my plate while eating. Once the drink was on, it never was safe :headbang:

Cheers!
Doug

'i beet up yor honur studint'
I like cats, I just can't eat a whole one by myself.
Doug

Postby matt@kim » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:07 pm

Kim and I also do the water thing. Besides that though I take ice cream containers and fill them with water and freeze them, then put them at the bottom of food, water, and beer coolers. Fill coolers with food or whatever then top off with cubed ice. May take up some space but we dont have to buy near as much ice with those containers and the beer is always COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!
matt@kim

Postby ontario rocker » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:18 pm

ours is making jello shooters ! too funny last time going across the border. He checked the fridge and confiscated some oranges telling me what is not allowed - meanwhile there are a 100 jello shooters sitting in the fridge he didn't ask anything about ... whewww...
The more you live.... the less you die
Janis Joplin
ontario rocker

Postby HalfPast6 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:51 pm

One of the things we started a few years back when our group got larger was to have a sign-up for cooking something for the whole group. It takes a little organization before the Jam, but the result has been some really outstanding meals. I usually pre-cook ribs on Jam Monday and Tuesday and kick it off southern-style on Wednesday night with the whole thing - beans, cole slaw, cornbread, etc. Everyone has fun with planning their meal and it makes it easier than having everyone trying to figure out their whole food situation for the weekend.

Another thing I really recommend is the private BIFFs. They're not too expensive if you're dividing it a few ways and it's nice to have clean facilities.
HalfPast6

Postby The TyGuy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:55 am

I always travel with ear plugs in my car. Never know when they'll come in handy.
Another thing I travel with is Duct Tape. I used to stumple over my tent and had to tape up some holes from other peoples canopy's blowing into my tent and ripping it up.
I prepare way more ice than I need. I freeze water bottles and collect cubed ice in bags well before the jam. I end up throwing away lots of ice just because I have no room for it and my food and DEWS. I have even thought about making one cooler nothing but ice and then just transfer some ice to other coolers as I need it. Maybe I'll try that this year.
I used to bring lots of chips and junk food along rather than worrying about keeping the food prperly chilled. Now I've just started buying btreakfast food there. Who needs to eat during the day anyway?
Last year I made up some burgers prior to the jam. Froze them and then once they start thawing out I grab one and chomp it up.
Moondance Jam 28 wishlist:
PAISTY JENNY
LILLIAN AXE
ENUFF Z'NUFF
BABYLON A.D.
TYKETTO
The TyGuy

Postby matt@kim » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:08 am

tom_tuttle wrote:I never go camping without bailing twine, steel wool(with 9 volt battery), and duct tape.

PS don't store the steel wool with the battery.

Why Tom you dont like FIRE FIRE!!!!!
matt@kim

Postby Lisa! » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:09 pm

tom_tuttle wrote:
matt@kim wrote:
tom_tuttle wrote:I never go camping without bailing twine, steel wool(with 9 volt battery), and duct tape.

PS don't store the steel wool with the battery.

Why Tom you dont like FIRE FIRE!!!!!

I like Fire Fire when Rammstein is singing it :)

oh great, another clue I don't get... I'm old, I guess :?
"Moondance is made of memories, and memories are what bring this whole event alive." Bill Bieloh
Lisa!

Postby Lisa! » Tue May 24, 2011 2:59 pm

all I need is Howler, the truck-n-camper, beer, tickets and a plan....
and money
Lisa!

Next

Return to Moondance Jam