Moondance JamMoondance Jammin Country Fest

What are you bringing for food???

Moondance Jam 29
July 16-18, 2020

What are you bringing for food???

Postby Cupcake » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:39 pm

New Thread...what are you bringing for food.....

- any MDJ traditions
- quick and easy or elaborate cook out
- only vendors
- food???...who eats???
- is b-e-e-r a food???

In years past we have done...
Totinos pizza
walking tacos
brats
burgers
chips
pasta salad
brownies
cookies
hotdogs
sliced potatoes
ham/egg/chz bagel sandwiches
biscuits and gravy
CUPS(cake) UP @ CAMP SOUTH BEERKOTA !!!!
Cupcake

Re: What are you bringing for food???

Postby IanR » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:25 am

Cupcakes :D
You've been to the hallowed grounds, seen the festival, now read the book about it's history

https://ianroutledge.selz.com/item/53fda9f5b798720540dd9fdc
IanR

Postby Davage » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:54 pm

I've always bought VIP tickets, so the amount of food required is minimal. We basically only cook breakfast, and then have a few snacks.

Breakfast:
Bacon
Sausage Pattys
English Muffins
Cheese
Coffee
Hot Chocolate
(and a big-a** bottle of Baileys)

One year we tried to bring eggs, but the eggs ended up getting demolished before we arrived. It's too long of a story to tell here on the G Page... Ask me at Moondance next month. It is actually a funny "Pauly" story.

Snacks:
Chips

Chocolate Milk is good for Hangovers too... We usually bring a gallon jug of Chocolate Milk.

Gatorade Too!
Davage

Postby Cupcake » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Yes indeed Cupcakes Ian!!! But I can't mail one to you...you will have to come over to have one. :D

Davage...for sure on the "Pauly" story. I can't wait. :cheers:
HMM...chocolate milk...hangover cure...very interesting. I LOVE chocolate milk!! May give this a test run this weekend...hehe.

Guess noone eats but us...maybe I shouldn't list what I plan everyone will be at Camp South Beerkota for food...hehe.

Maybe I really meant...what have you brought in the past?? I am always looking for new camping food ideas than the usual of burgers, brats and hotdogs.

:wootrock: Rock on Rockers!!!!
Cupcake

Postby Lisa! » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Cupcake, we've always kept it simple. Years back, we would go all out... steaks, potatoes, make breakfast... now we just bring snacks, maybe dogs, and make it a plan to eat at least one good meal inside... Uffta Taco, Porkchop-ona-Stick.... Need a little extra $ but we plan for it... Just snack thru-out the day... In the camper, Howler & I might have some ham-n-cheeze since that seems to be a good way to start the day (must be the salt), and water or Vitamin Water. Of course we have others in camp who may make food and share, and we have the bestest neighbors in the whole world! :D

"Moondance is made of memories, and memories are what bring this whole event alive." Bill Bieloh
RIP DJDizzyDarcy, I'll miss your Warm Hugs! God Bless
RIP Bill Bieloh-Thank You for Everything
RIP RichieRich, forever in CampHowler
Lisa!

Postby Lisa! » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:56 pm

Something to try camping… maybe not Moondance, you decide… HOBOS! Have you ever had ‘em? You just chop up veggies… potatoes, peppers, onions, carrots, whatever you want…. Tinfoil sprayed with cooking spray…. Put in hamburger (break it up with your paws), the chopped veggies in the tinfoil and then pour a smidge of beer on it (for moisture, and it's BEER, why not!), wrap it tightly in the tinfoil (a couple extra layers is good), then grill – flipping every so often… Takes maybe 45-50 minutes and when done, it’s like a little hotdish! One thing Howler & I started doing, add some cream of mushroom soup (or you could even do spaghetti sauce for an Italian flair) and then it comes out with a creamy gravy flavor. Pretty much anything goes in a HOBO! Quick, easy and way too nummy!

Simple camping potatoes (chopped, add onion, salt, pepper, oodles of butter), wrap in tinfoil, grill and eat!
"Moondance is made of memories, and memories are what bring this whole event alive." Bill Bieloh
RIP DJDizzyDarcy, I'll miss your Warm Hugs! God Bless
RIP Bill Bieloh-Thank You for Everything
RIP RichieRich, forever in CampHowler
Lisa!

Postby Snydlee » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:34 pm

A great breakfast idea is omelets in a bag. At home chop up all your favorites (& put in individual zip locks) to put in an omelet like for example onion, gr pepper mushrooms, ham, cooked bacon or sausage, cheese, etc. Then for breakfast crack an egg or two or three and put in a quart freezer bag-add your favorite veggies/meat-close the bag and squish it all together to mix up-put in a kettle of boiling water and boil for about 15 minutes.We have wooden clothes pins with numbers written on them in case we have alot of bags boiling at the same time-clip it to the top of the freezer bag. Then each person knows their number and can time their own.-take out of water and check to see if egg is fully cooked. Take it out of the bag and you have a perfect omelet.
Snydlee

Postby Davage » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Cupcake wrote:Davage...for sure on the "Pauly" story. I can't wait. :cheers:
HMM...chocolate milk...hangover cure...very interesting. I LOVE chocolate milk!! May give this a test run this weekend...hehe.

Yes, the story about the eggs is funny/scary, but it had a happy ending (except for the poor demolished eggs...)

Chocolate Milk - especially the type with a high fat content is awesome for a hangover. It is soothing going down, it makes you feel full without having to choke down some food. We used to be able to buy 3.5% chocolate milk here years ago.. It was the best. It was nice and creamy.
Davage

Postby Cupcake » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Lisa! wrote:Something to try camping… maybe not Moondance, you decide… HOBOS! Have you ever had ‘em? You just chop up veggies… potatoes, peppers, onions, carrots, whatever you want…. Tinfoil sprayed with cooking spray…. Put in hamburger (break it up with your paws), the chopped veggies in the tinfoil and then pour a smidge of beer on it (for moisture, and it's BEER, why not!), wrap it tightly in the tinfoil (a couple extra layers is good), then grill – flipping every so often… Takes maybe 45-50 minutes and when done, it’s like a little hotdish! One thing Howler & I started doing, add some cream of mushroom soup (or you could even do spaghetti sauce for an Italian flair) and then it comes out with a creamy gravy flavor. Pretty much anything goes in a HOBO! Quick, easy and way too nummy!

Simple camping potatoes (chopped, add onion, salt, pepper, oodles of butter), wrap in tinfoil, grill and eat!

Sounds Yummy...will have to try them when we go camping in 2 weeks. May try browning hamburger first to cut down on time on grill??? If they are a hit maybe I will try them at my next HOBO DAY party!!! Homecoming at SDSU is called Hobo Days!!!

Thanks Lisa!!!
Cupcake

Postby Cupcake » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Snydlee wrote:A great breakfast idea is omelets in a bag. At home chop up all your favorites (& put in individual zip locks) to put in an omelet like for example onion, gr pepper mushrooms, ham, cooked bacon or sausage, cheese, etc. Then for breakfast crack an egg or two or three and put in a quart freezer bag-add your favorite veggies/meat-close the bag and squish it all together to mix up-put in a kettle of boiling water and boil for about 15 minutes.We have wooden clothes pins with numbers written on them in case we have alot of bags boiling at the same time-clip it to the top of the freezer bag. Then each person knows their number and can time their own.-take out of water and check to see if egg is fully cooked. Take it out of the bag and you have a perfect omelet.

Syndlee, is there a trick to this?? My mom tried it 2 years ago when we went on our family camping trip and she thought it took forever? Maybe just cause she was doing 10?? Or maybe smaller baggies...hmm??? They sure were yummy tho!! Thanks for reminding me of them. I think I will give it a trial run in 2 weeks too!!! Thanks.
Cupcake

Next

Return to Moondance Jam