Moondance JamMoondance Jammin Country Fest

The Minnesota Whiskey Pigzz

The Minnesota Whiskey Pigzz

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:30 pm

The Minnesota Whiskey Pigzz - July 16 at 4:15pm on the Saloon Stage

Scott “Razz” Rasmussen - Guitar/Vocals
Scott Nilsen - Bass/Vocals
John Haugen - Drums/Vocals

You would be hard-pressed to find a band with more respect for the Moondance Jam than the members of The Minnesota Whiskey Pigzz. The three current members of the Pigzz were the original three members of Roadkill, a long defunct cover band from the late 80’s. After Roadkill, Razz hooked up with a former Roadkill guitarist and the band Teabag Jerry was born. The band recorded a full-length CD and played bars in and around the twin cities. The group was lucky enough to land a gig at Moondance Jam X and was so well received they were invited back for Jam 11. While Teabag Jerry was developing, Haugen and Nilsen were in several cover bands, including a stint together in the band Ground Zero. However, Haugen soon joined Teabag Jerry and Nilsen even served as the band’s guitar tech at Jam 11. During that jam, floods caused a band cancellation and Teabag Jerry was a last minute replacement and ended up playing multiple sets on both Thursday and Saturday. The experience moved Razz to write the song “Moondancing” before he could even unpack after returning from the jam. After sending the song to Bill & Kathy Bieloh, the band was signed to play the main stage at Jam 12. Unfortunately, the main stage dream went unfulfilled as Teabag Jerry’s lead guitarist split just 5 weeks before the jam. After a short break, the three current members decided to become a three-piece and formed The Minnesota Whiskey Pigzz. The band opened the saloon stage at Jam 13 and the following year at Jam 14 were given a Thursday evening saloon slot. On Saturday at Jam 14, the band again filled in at the last minute for a cancellation and played the saloon right after Whitesnake performed on the main stage. Buoyed by the positive response at Jam 14, the band recorded a 4-song EP at Mountain Ash studios before returning to play Jam 15. The band debuted a new song, “E.d.,” at Jam 15 that was very well received. At Jam 16 the band debuted the song “Dixie” during their set in the saloon. Last year they rocked the saloon stage with a big crowd full of G-Fammers. This year will be the sixth straight year the Pigzz have played the saloon stage. The band is hopeful to one day again be invited to play the main stage at Moondance Jam.

My Take:
I have a copy of both the 4-song EP by The Minnesota Whiskey Pigzz and the original Teabag Jerry CD. I especially enjoy their song “Beer Me,” which is musically their best song on the EP and is one song I look forward to hearing live again this year. Also of note is their revved up remake of the Simon and Garfunkel classic “The Sound of Silence,” which starts out slow like the original and then starts rocking. The songs all sound very different and showcase the diversity of a band that you can tell enjoy doing what they do. The band has an extensive list of cover songs but look for the band to stick with mainly originals for their saloon stage set. With the history these guys have with Moondance Jam and for the fact guitarist/vocalist Razz actually wrote a song about Moondance, this is one band in the saloon not to be missed. Their show last year in the saloon was as fun as anything at Jam 17. It was great to see all the G-Fammers supporting the band and singing along. I was lucky enough to meet Razz a couple years ago at the jam (and yes he was wearing the moccasins!). I met him at Camp Howler during the day when it was actually quiet and we were all just sitting around talking about Moondance Jam. After awhile, Razz leaned back and said “I love this place.” That quote has stuck with me since then because I could tell that he absolutely meant it. I hope he will one day get to play the main stage after missing out on the chance seven years ago. He truly deserves it and would appreciate the opportunity more than anyone.

Moondance Jam History:
Jam 13 – 2003
Jam 14 – 2004
Jam 15 – 2005
Jam 16 – 2006
Jam 17 – 2007
Jam 18 - 2008

Did You Know?
Razz wrote a song titled “Moondancing,” after playing Moondance Jam 11.
Haugen is also playing the saloon stage with his other band, Sister’s Attic.
The band has debuted two songs at Moondance Jam, “E.d” is 2006 and “Dixie” in 2007.
This year will be the 8th year Razz has played Moondance Jam (Razz played Jam 10 and 11 with Teabag Jerry).

Song List - Originals:
One and only
Today
E.d.
Too days
My secret
No means no
Beer me
Men are Pigzz
Sounds of silence
Angel Beach
Moondancing
Don’t feed the animals
Dixie
Love/Hate
Gone Fishing

Song List - Covers:
American idiot…………………………………………………….Green Day
When I come around………………………………………………Green Day
Longview………………………………………………………….Green Day
Basket case………………………………………………………...Green Day
Are you gonna be my girl?..................................Jet
Cold hard *…………………………………………………………….Jet
Hey jealousy…………………………………………………...Gin Blossoms
Vertigo……………………………………………………………………..U2
Cumbersome………………………………………………………….7mary3
Inside out………………………………………………………………...Eve6
Slide…………………………………………………………..Goo Goo Dolls
Santeria………………………………………………………………Sublime
My own worst enemy……………………………………………………...Lit
Ziplock……………………………………………………………………..Lit
Santa Monica………………………………………………………..Everclear
Getting better……………………………………………………………Tesla
Good………………………………………………………...Better Than Ezra
Song 2…………………………………………………………………….Blur
Tomorrow…………………………………………………………Silverchair
Lump…………………………….Presidents of the United States of America
Stacy’s mom…………………………………………….Fountains of Wayne
Almost……………………………………………………..Bowling For Soup
New girl now………………………………………………Honeymoon Suite
New age girl (Mary Moon)…………………………………….Deadeye Dick
Got you where I want you………………………………………………..Flys
Peace Pipe……………………………………………………….Cry Of Love
Old apartment……………………………………………...Barenaked Ladies
She hates me………………………………………………...Puddle Of Mudd
Learn to fly………………………………………………………Foo Fighters
Rockin’ is my business………………………………….The Four Horsemen
Jailbreak.…………………………………………………………..Thin Lizzy
Broken hearted savior………………………Big Head Todd & The Monsters
Fly me courageous………………………………………….Drivin’ & Cryin’
The music brought me to Moondance Jam. The people bring me back.
View my profiles of this years' bands at: viewforum.php?f=38
View profiles of past bands at: viewforum.php?f=7
Chris

Return to 2009 - Rockin' 18 Bands