Journey

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Journey – Thursday at 11pm

Arnel Pineda – Lead Vocals
Neal Schon – Guitar, backing vocals
Jonathan Cain – Keyboards, backing vocals
Ross Valory – Bass, backing vocals
Deen Castronovo – Drums, percussion, vocals

The original members of Journey first formed in San Francisco in 1973. Guitarist Neal Schon and Keyboard/vocalist Gregg Rolie, both from Santana, joined up with bassist Ross Valory, rhythm guitarist George Tickner, and drummer Prairie Prince (of The Tubes) to form what was going to be a backing back for area artists. The group changed direction and decided to become a full band but soon Prince left to go back to The Tubes and was replaced by Aynsley Dunbar. The band was signed to Columbia Records and released their self-titled progressive rock-style debut in 1975, which would reach #138 on the charts. Tickner left the band and the band released a second album titled Look Into the Future in 1976. This album was more commercial sounding and reached #100. In 1977, Next was released, and continued the band’s climb up the charts, topping out at #85. Management decided a new singer was what the band needed to hit the big time and the band hired Robert Fleischman. Fleischman only lasted through one tour. They kept looking though and the band would finally hire Steve Perry. Their fourth album, Infinity, came in 1978 and reached #21 on the charts and eventually sold over 3 million copies. Singles from the album included three top 100 hits with “Wheel in the Sky” at #57, “Feeling That Way/Anytime” at #83, and “Lights” at #68. Aynsley was not pleased with the musical direction of the band and was replaced by Steve Smith. After tasting success, the band would not suffer a slump as 1979’s Evolution album hit #20 and also sold over 3 million copies. “Just the Same Way” hit #58 but would be followed by their first top 20 hit, “Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’,” which would hit #16. The band would keep the success coming with 1980’s Departure, which reach #8 and also went triple platinum. It contained four top 100 hits, led by “Any Way You Want It” at #23 and “Walks Like a Lady” at #32. A double-platinum live album called Captured followed in 1981. It reached #9 and a studio song from the album, “The Party’s Over (Hopelessly in Love),” reached #34. Rolie chose to leave the band during this time and was replaced for a short time by Steve Roseman. Jonathan Cain would get the job full-time and the band would reach even higher heights with their next album. 1981’s Escape album reached #1 on the charts and has gone 9 times platinum behind three top 10 hits, “Who’s Crying Now,” “Don’t Stop Believing,” and “Open Arms.” With superstardom now reached, the band was now seen everywhere from video games to MTV. Amazingly, the band was able to release another hit album with 1983’s Frontiers. The album had another four top 40 hits, led by “Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)” and “Faithfully.” As happens to many bands who experience such success, the band started to fracture. Perry and Schon worked on other projects and Smith and Vallory were fired. Session musicians, including Randy Jackson (yes that Randy Jackson), were used as replacements for 1986’s Raised on Radio. Even though the album reached #4, it only sold 2 million copies. It still had four top 20 hits with “Be Good To Yourself,” “Suzanne,” “Girl Can’t Help It,” and “I’ll Be Alright Without You.” The band would take a break in 1987. Side projects came about as Schon and Cain formed Bad English and Vallory and Rolie formed The Storm. Rather than wait for the band to release another album, Columbia Records released a greatest hits album that has now sold over 15 million copies. The band remained apart until releasing Trial by Fire in 1996. The album reached #3 and went platinum behind the #12 hit “When You Love a Woman”. The song earned the band a Grammy nomination. Problems still occurred, however, and Perry was eventually replaced by Steve Augeri in 1998. Deen Castronovo, from Bad English, took over on drums at this time. This lineup released the album Arrival in 2001. The album did not sell well, reaching #56, but the band continued to tour. In 2005, they would return with Generations, which only hit #170 on the charts. Due to throat problems, Augeri was replaced by Jeff Scott Soto in 2006 but would last just less than a year when the band announced it was going in another direction. That direction would come from the internet as Schon discovered Arnel Pineda, who sang Journey songs in a cover band. Hailing from the Phillipines, Pineda was tapped to sing not only in concert but on a new album. Revelation was released in June 2008 and immediately hit #5 on the charts and has now gone platinum. The band has also had a very successful tour behind the album and even performed at the Super Bowl pregame show in 2009. The band will be making its third appearance at Moondance Jam and will be closing the night on Thursday.

Did You Know?
The band was first known as the Golden Gate Rhythm Section.
Neal Schon sang lead on a few songs from Next.
Their greatest hits release is the sixth best-selling hits package ever.
Every member of the band sang lead on a song on 2005’s Generations album.
“Don’t Stop Believing” plays during the last scene of the series The Sopranos.
That scene helped propel the single to over 2 million downloads on itunes, where it is the most downloaded song from the 20th century.
The song is #11on VH1’s 100 Greatest songs of the 80’s.
The Essential Journey greatest hits package has also gone platinum.
The band was featured in the video game Journey Escape on Atari 2600 in 1982.
“Any Way You Want It” is on Rock Band 2 and is downloadable for Guitar Hero.
“Don’t Stop Believing” is downloadable for Rock Band.
The song was also sung by the finalists on American Idol 9.
American Idol’s Randy Jackson played on Raised on Radio and on the tour for the album.
Drummer Deen Castronovo usually sings lead on at least one song during the current tour.
All five songs from side A of Frontiers had videos made for them and four of them were top 40 hits.
“Only the Young” reached #9 from the Vision Quest soundtrack in 1985.
“Any Way You Want It” is #80 on VH1’s Best Hard Rock Songs of All Time.
“Open Arms” is the bands highest charting hit, reaching #2 in 1982.
It is #1 on VH1’s 25 Greatest Power Ballads.
The Revelation release contains three discs, the new disc, another disc with 11 classic Journey songs remade with Pineda on vocals, and a live DVD from 2008 in Las Vegas.
It is exclusively available in the US through Wal Mart.
Besides reaching #5 in the US, Revelation hit the charts in 6 other countries.
It was nominated for Classic Rock Magazine’s Album of the Year.
The band received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2005.

Billboard Top 100 Hits
1978 Wheel in the Sky #57
1978 Feeling That Way/Anytim #83
1978 Lights #68
1979 Just the Same Way #58
1979 Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’ #16
1980 Too Late #70
1980 Any Way You Want It #23
1980 Walks Like a Lady #32
1980 Good Morning Girl/Stay Awhile #55
1981 The Party’s Over (Hopelessly in Love) #34
1981 Who’s Crying Now #4
1981 Don’t Stop Believing #9
1982 Open Arms #2
1982 Still They Ride #19
1983 Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) #8
1983 Faithfully #12
1983 Send Her My Love #23
1983 After the Fall #23
1985 Only the Young #9
1986 Be Good to Yourself #9
1986 Suzanne #17
1986 Girl Can’t Help It #17
1987 I’ll Be Alright Without you #14
1987 Why Can’t This Night Go On Forever #60
1993 Lights (Live) #74
1996 When You Love a Woman #12

Setlists
May 23, 2009 in Sacramento
Neal guitar intro (Majestic)
Never Walk Away
Only the Young
Neal guitar solo
Stone in Love
Ask the Lonely
Separate Ways (extended)
Change For the Better
Who's Crying Now
Where Did I Lose Your Love
Lights
After All These Years
Jon piano solo
Open Arms
Be Good to Yourself
Wildest Dream
Jon/Neal harp/mandolin jam
Wheel in the Sky
Escape
Faithfully
Don't Stop Believin' (extended)

Encore:
Any Way You Want It
Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' (with Miles Schon, Weston Cain, and Madison Cain)

July 9, 2008 in Denver
Intro/Majestic
Never Walk Away
Only The Young
Send Her My Love
Stone In Love
Ask The Lonely
Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
Change For The Better
Who's Crying Now
Lights
After All These Years
Open Arms
Be Good to Yourself (Deen on vocals)
Wildest Dream
Wheel in the Sky
Edge of the Blade
Faithfully
ENCORES:
Don't Stop Believin'
Anyway You Want It

September 6, 2008
Intro
Never Walk Away
Only The Young
Schon Solo
Stone In Love
Ask The Lonely
Send Her My Love
After All These Years
Change For The Better
Separate Ways
Lights
Cain Solo
Open Arms
Don’t Stop Believin’
Faithfully
Chain Reaction
Escape
Wheel In The Sky
Anyway You Want It
Be Good To Yourself
Encore
Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’

March 23, 2009 in Maui
Never Walk Away
Only the Young
Ask the Lonely
Stone in Love
Keep on Running
After All these Years
Change for the better
Wheel in the Sky
Lights
Open Arms
Mother Father
Wildest Dreams
Separate Ways
What I Needed
Edge of the Blade
Escape
Faithfully
Don't Stop Believing
Anyway You Want It
Encore
Exit Stage Left

Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnV4AL51-II – “Open Arms” live 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTY0yQ1D ... playnext=1 – link to entire Chile concert from 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbrGHrpvvaY – “After All These Years” live in 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjKRMpLfDzY – “Stone in Love” live in 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD6ZxvyIKd8 – “Any Way You Want It” live in 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl-6IE-A ... re=related – “Lights” live in 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fekA17Mt_U – “Wheel in the Sky” live in 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tngxROFjRV0 – “Faithfully” live in 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrEcRDhm ... re=related – “Don’t Stop Believing” live in 2009

Moondance Jam Connections
Journey played Moondance Jam 14 in 2005.
Prairie Prince, of the New Cars (Moondance Jam 2007), was the drummer for a short time at the very beginning of the formation of Journey.
Former drummer Aynsley Dunbar has worked with Whitesnake (Jams 2005 and 2009) and Sammy Hagar (Jams 2003 and 2008) and is currently working on material with Mickey Thomas (Jams 1995, 1996, 1999, and 2006).
Former keyboardist/vocalist Gregg Rolie performed with his band at Moondance Jams 2004 and 2006.
Journey, Dio (Jam 2002), Sammy Hagar (Jams 2003 and 2008), and Foreigner (Jam 1998) all appear on the Vision Quest soundtrack.
Journey, Hagar, Blue Oyster Cult (Jam 1999), Grand Funk Railroad (Jams 2005 and 2009), and Cheap Trick (Jams 1999, 2005, and 2007) all appear on the Heavy Metal movie soundtrack.

My Take
Journey has been one of my favorite bands since I was a kid back in 1981 when Escape came out. It was one of the albums that I not only listened to constantly but also, like Meatloaf’s Bat Out of Hell and Kiss Alive II, I could look at the album cover forever. That is still one my favorite records of all-time. I have seen them twice, both with Steve Augeri on vocals. Even without Steve Perry, both times I was in awe of just how great the musicianship of the band is. While I never got to see them with Steve Perry, I am very much looking forward to seeing their new singer Arnel Pineda. What great story that is, being discovered singing Journey songs in a cover band on Youtube. Imagine how much his life has changed the last couple years! Recently I have started buying all of their older CD’s and I am looking forward to completing the collection. I think their album Revelation is one of the best releases of 2008 and I really appreciate the packaging of the album with not only the new release but another disc of Journey classics with Pineda on vocals as well as a live DVD from 2008. All this costs less than $15. While some people may not appreciate the fact that it is exclusively available at Wal Mart, the retail giant has done a great job promoting the album and it has gone platinum, which is huge for today’s music market. Wal Mart also has their back catalog available for anywhere from $5 to $9, which is hard to beat. If you want to get into Journey today, it will not cost you a lot. Revelation is full of great songs that all have that classic Journey sound. Although at first I wondered why they would re-record old Journey classics, I really enjoy that disc as well. If you have not heard Pineda sing, he has an amazing voice and I truly think people will start to forget about Steve Perry when they hear him. Right now they are the band I am most looking forward to at Moondance Jam 18. They will be a great way to close the first night.
The music brought me to Moondance Jam. The people bring me back.
View my profiles of this years' bands at: viewforum.php?f=38
View profiles of past bands at: viewforum.php?f=7
Chris

Re: Journey

Postby Daytona Jones » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:16 am

Amazing info,

Impressive for a band and didn't ever get to #1 with a song.

Good job Chris

Dj.
The Climate Change That I am Worried About is "Global Cooling"
Daytona Jones

Postby MartyMoffatt » Wed May 13, 2009 1:57 am

I've seen Journey about 30 times in the past four years (not bad considering I live in England), and the last 20 or so of those shows I've photographed as their main photographer, giving me as good a view of the band as anybody. I can honestly say there are very few bands that come anywhere close to Journey musically on a live stage. They really are a well oiled machine, with a phenomenal new singer, and one of the most experienced and best guitarists on the planet.

If you've only seen Arnel on the live DVD that came with their latest album you are in for a big surprise. Good as that was, it was filmed shortly after he joined the band and when he was still lacking a little in confidence. His stagecraft, confidence and singing power has improved immeasurably since then, and Journey will be one of the highlights of the festival.

Marty
MartyMoffatt

Postby Chris » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:05 am

I have put in a new setlist from May 23 from their show in Sacramento. I have put the setlist in bold so it is easy to find.
The music brought me to Moondance Jam. The people bring me back.
View my profiles of this years' bands at: viewforum.php?f=38
View profiles of past bands at: viewforum.php?f=7
Chris

Return to 2009 - Rockin' 18 Bands