Moondance JamMoondance Jammin Country Fest

Road Construction HWY 34 & 371

Re: Road Construction HWY 34 & 371

Postby The Jam Web Guy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:52 pm

I was just in Park Rapids a couple of days ago, and the road between Park Rapids and Walker (highway 34) is free and clear. The road construction crew finished the job quickly before the state shutdown and there is no construction at the current time. That's not to say they won't go back once they start up again, and finish the job properly, but they laid down some asphalt and striped it quick before July 1st. You'll have no problems on Highway 34 and I also checked out Highway 371 from Brainerd north (see my report on the other thread).

This came in from another thread. Remeber, if the state starts back up again, be sure to check MN/DOT.
The Jam Web Guy
Site Admin

Postby uffda » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Definitely. Even though the roads are open right now, they are not done completely. They laid down the asphalt between Park Rapids and Dorset corners, but it's not up to code. It'll work, but it's just a temporary job. They said in the paper, that state requirements call for 5.5 inches of asphalt, and they laid down 4 inches of asphalt, just to get "something" on the road. Plus, the shoulders are not paved between Park Rapids and Dorset corners. They're gravel, but they said the gravel is very soft...so, I assume that means if you pull off the asphalt, it'll pull you into the ditch. The good news is, when they laid down the temporary asphalt, they actually widened the lanes. BUT, when the state goes back to work....they WILL resume work on both Highway 34 and Highway 371.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-HST
uffda

Postby Blonde » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:19 pm

The Jam Web Guy wrote:If the state gets up and running before next week, you will see road construction projects on HWY 34 between Park Rapids and Akeley and 371 from Baxter to Nisswa. If they don't, you will see stalled road construction projects which could be just as bad or worse. Make sure to check your maps and make plans for an alternate route if you are planning on using those roads. As of right now the state maps the show all road conditions are not available.

Here are links to a couple of known projects:
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d2/hwy34/
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d3/hwy371baxter-nisswa/

If there is anyone in those areas that can provide more info on this, please post. Also, if anyone is aware of any other projects that may force a detour, please let us know.

The Hwy 34 project yes is at a stand still, but before the government shut down, they finished putting the final layer of tar down and striping the road. So it is good as new and easy sailing between Park Rapids and Dorset. :D Again, if the government does get up and running before Jam, you could see the project back in action which will be between Dorset and Nevis...only time will tell.
Blonde

Postby uffda » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:46 pm

I should maybe clarify something here. It's not totally clear sailing from Park Rapids to Walker. The street is still tore up in downtown Akeley. So, you do have to go over 1 block and parallel main street for a few blocks. It's very well marked and I've followed semi trailers through the detour, so nobody should have any problems going thru Akeley.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-HST
uffda

Previous

Return to Past Jams