Moondance JamMoondance Jammin Country Fest

Opinions of Rockin 18

Re: Opinions of Rockin 18

Postby Jamminfan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:06 pm

JWG - I understand what you are saying - I think your Aerosmith/ZZ Top number of $117.25 is interesting, as ZZ Top alone gets $45.84 according to Pollstar. So I'd guess that Aerosmith alone would be in that $85 range. But I'd trade the Thursday night lineup of Journey ($49.60) and Sheryl Crow ($49.70) for Aerosmith, Petty or Mellencamp in a heartbeat, and I'm sure Bill would too, if the budget could somehow handle it. I know it's not that simple, and there are routing issues, crowd capacity, security, and all of that. But my original point (granted, it is subjective) was that MDJ went from 4 days to 3 days, reducing the overall number of bands, without lowering prices, and without increasing the quality of the bands that did play.
Jamminfan

Postby bulldog » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:12 pm

AMEN JWG! Thanks for shedding a bit more light on just how expensive it would be to fulfill everyones "Wishlist". :o

Everyone has there own taste in music and will make there own choices on whether or not to come...but like someone else said earlier....If you're coming just for the bands, you're really missing out on what MDJ is all about.

Where else can a general admission ticket holder get right up next to the stage (closer than VIP) for a full concert of there favorite band?! I have seen a lot videos of many outdoor concerts that have nothing but "Big Name Headliners" and the closest a general admission ticket holder can get is a binocular away!

Besides the "Main Stage" there is awesome music by very talented bands/artists that play in the Saloon and the Lazy Moon every day! All part of your admission price! You throw in the camping experience and a visit to "camp Howler" and I can't think of a better 5 days spent in walker MN.!! ;)

Myself and Pink Flamingo can't wait until next year!!! Cups up!
Remember, The glass is always half full........unless it's a Bulldog!
bulldog

Postby Jammin Girl32 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:32 pm

Thanks JWG - sometimes we need things put into perspective. We all have our "wish list" of dream bands we'd love to see at MDJ but unfortunately dreams & reality are often 2 different things. But, we can always dream!!!

Here's to dreamin' about 2010 - we've got our tickets!!
Jammin Girl32

Postby The Jam Web Guy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Jamminfan wrote:JWG - I understand what you are saying - I think your Aerosmith/ZZ Top number of $117.25 is interesting, as ZZ Top alone gets $45.84 according to Pollstar. So I'd guess that Aerosmith alone would be in that $85 range. But I'd trade the Thursday night lineup of Journey ($49.60) and Sheryl Crow ($49.70) for Aerosmith, Petty or Mellencamp in a heartbeat, and I'm sure Bill would too, if the budget could somehow handle it. I know it's not that simple, and there are routing issues, crowd capacity, security, and all of that. But my original point (granted, it is subjective) was that MDJ went from 4 days to 3 days, reducing the overall number of bands, without lowering prices, and without increasing the quality of the bands that did play.

I can guarantee they tried and will try again for ??? 19 and I hope that everything works out so that we will be seeing you there.
The Jam Web Guy
Site Admin

Postby Whysper » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:10 pm

bulldog wrote:AMEN JWG! Thanks for shedding a bit more light on just how expensive it would be to fulfill everyones "Wishlist". :o

Everyone has there own taste in music and will make there own choices on whether or not to come...but like someone else said earlier....If you're coming just for the bands, you're really missing out on what MDJ is all about.

Where else can a general admission ticket holder get right up next to the stage (closer than VIP) for a full concert of there favorite band?! I have seen a lot videos of many outdoor concerts that have nothing but "Big Name Headliners" and the closest a general admission ticket holder can get is a binocular away!

Besides the "Main Stage" there is awesome music by very talented bands/artists that play in the Saloon and the Lazy Moon every day! All part of your admission price! You throw in the camping experience and a visit to "camp Howler" and I can't think of a better 5 days spent in walker MN.!! ;)

Myself and Pink Flamingo can't wait until next year!!! Cups up!

5 days? You guys got to stay for 5 days? Ok, here's an idea. Extend it to 5 days, with day 5 being similar to day 1.

Set up on Wed, party in the Saloon. 3 days of Main Stage bands, on Sunday party in the saloon again with regional bands and tear down on Monday.
Don't blame me, I'm working on rule number 14. :hippypeace:
Whysper

Postby TRUSTYGUMBY » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:40 am

3 days I understand, But what is different about it....NOTHEN!!

Same price(Even more now) and than ya put Yes on the stage all I can say is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
VIP was over sold- Had to wait for beer every night xcept when NO was on stage, The food WTF Scooby snacks- Chez its? OK OK I did like the dinners.

Still on the fence Moondance or RockFEST?
Join "Concert Minneapolis" on Facebook
TRUSTYGUMBY

Postby Whysper » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:05 am

TRUSTYGUMBY wrote:3 days I understand, But what is different about it....NOTHEN!!

Same price(Even more now) and than ya put Yes on the stage all I can say is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
VIP was over sold- Had to wait for beer every night xcept when NO was on stage, The food WTF Scooby snacks- Chez its? OK OK I did like the dinners.

Still on the fence Moondance or RockFEST?

I hadn't really considered RockFest till I read your post, so I went and took a looksie. The only band they had this year that I would have jumped at, was Steve Miller. That would have been a great addition to this year's lineup, but oh well. They didn't have the Whitesnake/Judas Priest combo, instead they had Judas Priest followed by Journey. I can't even imagine that kind of a transition and I'm not I'd enjoy it, but what the hey. Sheryl Crow closed out Friday night after Bare Naked Ladies and that would have been a fun one too, but still Moondance is a classic rock fest.

Now, the more important stuff. At RockFest, there is no pit. The VIP seating is directly in front of the stage with a narrow aisle which is the "picture taking line" how fund is that? They also added another section directly behind that for Reserved Lawn Chair Seating at only 275 bucks for the pleasure.

The camping is slightly more, with an added VIP camping area to segregate the haves from the have nots. The more I look at it, the less fun it seems. I guess if you've got the bucks for VIP seating and camping it's probably a better list of bands overall, but the experience I get at Moondance has to be superior in so many ways.

I love the idea of putting all the tribute bands on the Mainstage on Wednesday Night, that would really be fun. The Saloon was way to crowded for my tastes on Wednesday night, and while I'm not a great fan of Hairball, I think they're more suited to a larger stage, and a lotta fun to watch. Mountain Ash also was great fun and I'm watching out for them here in the cities now that I've seen them.

I really think the biggest problem with the disappointment, was that expectations seemed to be set higher when they announced they were going to a 3 day format. If I ignore those expectations and just look at it from what my experience was this year, I had a hell of a time and I've already got my ticket for next year.
Don't blame me, I'm working on rule number 14. :hippypeace:
Whysper

Postby Miller guy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:43 am

You know I dont think that it was the best line up that they have had this year, but it was very appealing to everyone. There was a very good range of different bands and I think that they did a great job. As for the bands and BIG names you have to think would you rather have one 10 and then 14 two's or a random mix of all number? I like that they try to make all days as appealing as possible instead of throwing all the cash at one great act.
Miller guy

Postby IanR » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:34 pm

as the quote goes - You can't please all of the people all of the time ;)
You've been to the hallowed grounds, seen the festival, now read the book about it's history

https://ianroutledge.selz.com/item/53fda9f5b798720540dd9fdc
IanR

Postby Davage » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:15 pm

Ian, now that you've had the time to relax and think about Rockin' 18. What is your opinion of the Rockstar access ticket you had? When I talked to you in the VIP area at the Jam, you mentioned that the whole Rockstar Access deal has a 'few wrinkles that need to be ironed out'. Next year are you going RockStar access, or just regular VIP?
Davage

PreviousNext

Return to Bands at Moondance Jam Rockin' 18: July 16-18, 2009