Moondance JamMoondance Jammin Country Fest

Opinions of Rockin 18

Opinions of Rockin 18

Postby barryhanson » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Have the Rocker's ended up in 2nd place? It seems that the last two years have been steadily going down hill, with the 3 day schedule just being part of the problem. What's up with higher ticket prices and one day less of the main stage? With the exception of ThundherStruck, Saturday was a yawner with the Yes being a good reason to go to bed early. Friends also complained about the merchandise being co-labeled. We really don't want our money going to the country version of our week.
I will accept that Mother Nature has not been nice to us, but a great line-up would make the weather easier to handle. Granted also that schedule conflicts happen, but there are great 80's band touring the area right now! Please remember that its the Rocker's and their fans that made this all happen in the first place!
barryhanson

Re: Opinions of Rockin 18

Postby Whysper » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:59 pm

I had so much fun my first year at MDJ I got my ticket for 2009 my first chance possible. After seeing the lineup they presented, I was more than disappointed. The schedule was more than just a day weaker, it was just plain weak up and down the line. I'll be waiting to see what they have booked for next year before I buy my tickets. It may cost me more in the long run, but if it's just going to get worse from here, why bother to come back again.
Don't blame me, I'm working on rule number 14. :hippypeace:
Whysper

Postby villageboy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:25 pm

I have been going to MDJ for the past 10 years. I understand that signing bands is no simple feat. I did enjoy Cheryl Crow and Journey.

However, I thought the concept behind dropping 1 night was to allow more $$$ to sign better bands for the 3 night event. The outcome was disappointing. This was simply the weakest lineup in the past 10 years in my opinion.

I am up in the air as to whether to plan to go next year -- I will definitely wait until the lineup is in place before deciding. If it were the same lineup as this year, I doubt that I would bother going. It was pretty disappointing.
villageboy

Postby hookyjoe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:43 am

A note about HAIRBALL~~ They closed out the night Wednesday in the Saloon. I must say…. I was rather insulted by a really rude comment that was made onstage. The band broke into RICK SPRINGFIELD’s JESSIE’s GIRL, which is an amazing song and a huge piece of 80’s rock history. I myself watched a great performance from him at MOONDANCE a few years ago and that guy can rock!!! I was excited to hear it as many other folks were at the show that evening. People were dancing to it and enjoying it, they played the first verse and then stopped and commented “You guys are to good for this crap “ and began playing another song. I personally found that RUDE. They insulted a multi platinum talented artist who won a Grammy for his work on that song that was HUGE in 1981-82 ON STAGE. I will NEVER attend another hairball show in the future because of that. Granted, I am not their biggest fan in the first place, they play clubs all over MN and I’ve seen them here in my hometown of Rochester. I have not really been ultra impressed with them and don’t understand the hype that they generate in the first place. I was at the show they gave at Moondance regardless because they happened to be the act that was playing. I love live music and watch concerts and shows that bands perform A LOT, I actually am a radio DJ and have been fortunate to attend many performances throughout my career. I had a blast this year at Moondance and thoroughly enjoyed ALMOST every act that I watched. I love how the people attending are kind, courteous and well behaved, the event is staffed and managed well, and truthfully with the one exception of this comment from HAIRBALL on stage, this was a great experience for me. I watched as they made that comment, I watched them as they signed autographs after the show and acted like huge rockstars and quite frankly, I was agitated by it. They are a cover band with egos the size of a skyscraper and the crowd was not even that great when they were playing. My vote would be to axe that band from your lineup. I wont attend their show I know that much. You don’t prance on stage as a COVER BAND and insult a successful artist that many audience members love.

As far as the rest of Moondance? IT KICKED MAJOR A*#. Thank you for putting on one hell of a good time!

Thank you for listening.
hookyjoe

Postby TOOL FAN » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:24 am

I liked Sheryl Crow, Grnd Funk Railroad.
The event seemed to be well-planned, and security did a great job.
As far as overall music experience and enjoyment, this was one of the lineups I liked the least; and I've attended almost every Jam.
As a loyal jammer, I will be buying my 2010 VIP early for "Rock ClAsSiC 19" next year.

Thanks to all those that helped make Moondance happen. Thanks also to the youth hockey parents/supporters and kids. They helped clean up the jam site early each morning to earn money to support their program.
----- Rock 'n' Roll helps prevent RUST.
TOOL FAN

Postby Whysper » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:42 am

I enjoyed most of the music and you can't complain about the planning that goes into this. I usually would also praise the security, but then again....

I got clubbed from behind by security, I turned around to see this kid yelling at me that I couldn't video record and if he saw me again he'd take my camera away. I looked back at the stage and saw at least 8 people around me that were vid-ing either with their cameras or their phones.

Now, I almost understand why I was singled out, my camera has more the look of a video camera, even though it has the exact same capabilities of the more traditional square jobbies. What I didn't understand was why this punk thought he had to hit me from behind instead of just tapping me on the shoulder and informing me of my transgression.

I've spent a lot of money to change my response to this type of aggression, so instead of turning on him like mad dog, I put my camera away, and left for the campground to south my ego and the pain in my right shoulder.

I don't hold MDJ responsible, because there are bad apples in every barrel, but I should have taken his picture and filed civil charges against him. Just because you are in a position of authority, it doesn't give you the right to physically attack someone without reason. The simple fact that they are not following the rules doesn't give anyone the right to physically harm you. You deserve at the very least an opportunity to change your behavior or leave if that's what it takes.

I'm more than likely to attend next year, but far less likely to look at security to be my friend. I forgot the first rule of co-existence.

Always, question authority.
Whysper

Postby pink flamingo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:13 am

Whysper wrote:I had so much fun my first year at MDJ I got my ticket for 2009 my first chance possible. After seeing the lineup they presented, I was more than disappointed. The schedule was more than just a day weaker, it was just plain weak up and down the line. I'll be waiting to see what they have booked for next year before I buy my tickets. It may cost me more in the long run, but if it's just going to get worse from here, why bother to come back again.

Whysper, can't believe you'd even consider not going to the Jam... the friends & party make even the weakest of line-ups still an amazingly good time (this was NOT a favorite year for me band-wise either, but, like my newest sweatshirt says: FOREVER MOONDANCE).

BarryHanson: You made some good points, I agree, I'm not a fan of the co-labeled merchandise (though I don't think there was a large amount of it) and I also thought w/one less day the saved $$$ would go for better classic bands. I feel we have been really spoiled by some of the line-ups of the past and it is super tough to top some of those years!!!

BTW, Whysper... didn't hear about you being clubbed by security... sorry to hear that... it just isn't right and could have been handled much better on their part!

"From the moment I wake up, I just love being with my friends, we barely get by, but have the best times, and hope it never ends..." ~Nickelback ♫
"A touch of wicked, a pinch of risqué..." ~Halestorm ♪ ♩♫ ♬ ♪ ♩♫ ♬ ♪ ♩♫ ♬

ImageImage
pink flamingo

Postby carriejo_34 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:30 am

Awesome time at Moondance!!! Don't get me wrong, I love going to Moondance, but I agree with Whysper on the security. They were a little off this year. I almost got ran over by one, my husband told him to slow down and the guy had the nerve to turn around and get mouthy with us. I was a little angry. Moved on down the road and there was a couple of gentlemen who also had problems with that same guy. They need to realize most of the people there have been drinking and they should not be driving so fast and trying to start fights. Not impressed with the security.

BUT OTHER THAN THAT.... awesome Jam!!! JOURNEY WAS THE BEST!!!!! I love Journey... I was also very impressed with Sheryl Crow, I don't normally like her, but she sounded very well. I will forever state that Moondance is a very well planned event, they have their stuff together all the time. Props to Bill n Kathy!

Hope all had an awesome time!!

Carrie Jo
carriejo_34

Postby Whysper » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:39 am

pink flamingo wrote:Whysper, can't believe you'd even consider not going to the Jam... the friends & party make even the weakest of line-ups still an amazingly good time (this was NOT a favorite year for me band-wise either, but, like my newest sweatshirt says: FOREVER MOONDANCE).

BTW, Whysper... didn't hear about you being clubbed by security... sorry to hear that... it just isn't right and could have been handled much better on their part!

I suppose 'clubbed' gives it a harsher connotation that it should. 'Struck' is a better term, since he came down on me with his fist and not a club. Yeah, it took the wind out of my sail on Saturday night, it was hard to start havin' fun again after that. I'm comin' back next year, I think the security incident kind of pushed my button. I'll be buying my ticket by Friday to save the bucks, but if I don't find a camp to join, I'll move back to general camping next year.
Whysper

Postby butch » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:55 pm

I would agree with all of what has been said. So called "Rockin' 18" was bust, with weak bands, nasty security people, and drunk, obscene, underage kids. We are 10 year Jam vets, and after hearing that Bill has raised prices (once again) and providing less, we won't be coming back. Rockfest--here we come!
butch

Next

Return to Bands at Moondance Jam Rockin' 18: July 16-18, 2009